What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jabiru 2200

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Hello all
New to the RV-12 forum but certainly not new to VAF, and not RV-12 related but I'm sure some 12 builders will be able to help with my questions.
I'm just getting started helping a Zenair 701 builder do his electrical. He has a Jabiru 2200 engine. The alternator is listed as "perminently excited", I take this as it does not need an exciting switch?
As I said I'm just getting started and I've yet to read the entire manuals. After I do I'm sure I'll have more questions.
With the high wing tanks on a 701, there would not be a need for an electric back up pump, correct? I'm just wandering out loud if the engine driven pump would be needed on a high wing aircraft for that matter?
Thanks Ron

Already got another question. With the standard 6 pack gauges so to speak , what would be a good CHT/ EGT monitor system? On the Jabiru engine should all cylinders be monitored? My friend looked at Dynon but decided to stay with the six pack he has already installed in his panel, due to cost. Is there someone producing a four cylinder CHT/EGT only system?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

Jabiru2200

Jabiru has web site with a schematic that should help
Grand rapids has an inexpensive monitor available.
You might try the. Zenith site as they use the Jabiru engines

Hello all
New to the RV-12 forum but certainly not new to VAF, and not RV-12 related but I'm sure some 12 builders will be able to help with my questions.
I'm just getting started helping a Zenair 701 builder do his electrical. He has a Jabiru 2200 engine. The alternator is listed as "perminently excited", I take this as it does not need an exciting switch?
As I said I'm just getting started and I've yet to read the entire manuals. After I do I'm sure I'll have more questions.
With the high wing tanks on a 701, there would not be a need for an electric back up pump, correct? I'm just wandering out loud if the engine driven pump would be needed on a high wing aircraft for that matter?
Thanks Ron

The alternator uses permanent magnets for the field so you don't have to give it power or need a shut off. Just make sure you hook the yellow wire from the regulator to the main buss. Makes the regulator shut down and not drain your battery when not being used.
No "need" for an electric pump but, we always used one,, just cause it is cheap and easy insurance. Make sure you get the low pressure pump if you do get one.
Grand Rapids technologies has a great, simple engine monitor. Can do all the engine stuff from tach, egt, cht, op, ot, and on and on. Get fancy and it can do map, and Carb temp and a lot more if you want. All for less than 1000 dollars well equipped.
Been using them for engine monitoring for almost twenty years. Great service and great product.

Last edited:
Back