What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J3 Cub Delivery

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
My friend Pat Stewart builder of 3 RVs, a RV8, RV8a, RV10a, needed his J3 Cub moved from Dotham, AL to Hicks, T67 Fort Worth, TX.
Roy Geer, CFI and RV8 pilot of Falcon Flight, was avialiable to help.
The stars and weather lined up for Roy and I to head to Dotham to bring back the Cub.
Paul Rose RV9a builder offered his 'RV Hotel' and we took him up on that. We had fun visiting his nearly finished RV9 project. We met back in 2006 when he was in Fort Worth on business. He has a shop to die for!!! Mill, lathe,and other machines that I need!!!// want. Steaks beer and wine made for a fun night of talking RVs an airplanes. Paul is living large, he, like me, has a back up airplane, an Arrow, every one needs a back up.
Roy and I flew my Cessna 180J out to get Pats Cub. We got out there in about 8 hours. The trip back was a new experience. Pats Cub has a modified C85-12 with a 0-200 crank making 97hp. But it has the standard 12 gallon fuse tank. We made 50nm to 120nm legs back to Fort Worth.
It was fun flying 'with the Cub'. My C180 flys 80kn at 15" and 2300RPM with 2 notches of flaps. The Cub made 72 kn , so I could not really go that slow. The fun was stopping every hour or 2... We met a lot of folks and saw some good country.
The Cherry in this trip was CF Rusty Williams airport!!!! We lucked out big time. The airport has a new manager Randi Walding. What a breath of fresh air! Super friendly and welcoming. We loved her. The airport 3F3 has been repaved, new hangers built and had $3.60 fuel!! thats right!! $3.60/. Randi had some new hangers that were not rented yet and let us hanger our airplanes for free!
The FBO has been re modled and has two sleeping rooms with bunk beds. Yes we had free overnight rooms and a New Ford Excrusion to drive to supper. We had to wait out a front with rain and thunder, so over night was a must.
This was a different kind of trip for me, opend up some new ideas and and horizions, I might start planning 90nm legs on purpose?
Thanks!!! Pat for letting me help deliver your Cub home and Roy for doing the cub flying, Paul and Riba for the fellowship and great hospilatity and RV visit. I will be back to your place sometime soon.
I usualy get Roy Geer to do the delivery inquires I get, but this was a unique and fun oppertunity. We, I, got to include my C180 and leave out an unpleasent Airline trip oneway. A bonus.
Thanks Pat Stewart!!

Great trip report, I enjoyed reading it.

Usually we are in a big rush to get somewhere and miss a potentially good time with other airplane people. The trip apparently was a lot of fun and that's what this is all about.

So, what part did you like, the tools or the beer?

Good to hear you had a great trip and are home safe.

Unfortunately, I had to work or I would have met you at 0J6 to offer any assistance. I am sorry I missed you.

Jay.....

You live the life of a rock star. Boats (in a previous life) and more airplanes than you can count....helping folks build RV's, and working with your hands and talent everyday, and getting paid to do so? This is greatness! I am envious! Great write up!

(footnote: now, can you fly over to KGKY and help me prime the oil pressure on my C-140? :)

Nice

Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us!

Rusty Williams airport (Mansfield, LA) is nice!
I was there for a fly-in a month or two ago.
I checked on AirNav back then and I couldn't find 100LL any cheaper anywhere.

The pump nozzle is a little tricky as I'm sure you found out:D

Mark

Cub

I want to thank Jay and Roy for the delivery of my cub. This is a very special airplane that has around 60 hours on a tip to tail restoration and has been in the family for 50 years. Special thanks go out to RV9 builder Paul Rose for opening up his home to the guys. Also thanks go out to RV7 builder/pilot Alton in Dothan for keeping an eye on the hangar these past few months. This is truly a fantastic community and through this hobby I have made many life long friends.

Pat

Shop

Aw come on Jay, my shop isn't that nice. It's not nearly big enough!!!

I'm sure glad you and Roy got to stop. I certainly appreciated the experienced eyes looking over my 9A. Hopefully when you and Carol come back to go to Dog Island, it will be flying.

I sure wish I would have taken a picture of Pat's '41 and the '39 that was beside it in the hanger!!

This is a wonderful hobby and it's always fun to meet new friends/builders.

Back