What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J Channel

Wyzepilot

Hi all, I am working on the J channel stiffeners for the tail cone. After cutting them all to the proper size the plans have you draw a rivet line down the center. I removed 5/16" of material from a length of J channel scrap to use as a template sliding it along the J channel stiffeners and marking the centerline. That's when i noticed that one of my stiffeners tappers off 1/8" at the end. Now I did make a couple of passes with my deburring wheel but I just can't see how I removed that much material. I am wondering if the part could have been defective? I rechecked them all and found a second J channel that is slightly wider than the others. Has anyone else seen this? I am concerned about edge distance on the one that tapers off and will most likely order a new J channel. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience....

Dave

Unfortunately, either scenario is plausible. You'll never know. If you apply pressure on the 3M wheel (especially if you are using one of the more coarse grits) it can remove material quite easily.

If the edge distance is problematic, just order another one. I'll forewarn you that shipping will probably cost more than the part.

This will probably be the first of several parts that'll you'll reorder. We've all been there and done that. I relate this to folks when that are concerned about the quality level of experimentals. I share that it's our butts in seat and many of use will go the the extreme to make it right. Even if it takes or ding parts multiple times.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. I'll give Vans a call tomorrow and see what they say. I agree it may have been me, especially if no one else has seen this,
although it was just a couple of passes on my light deburring wheel. Unfortunately this will not be my first replacement part which I attribute to high standards at my quality control department and not poor workmanship :D I spoke with another builder today who suggested to overlap a 4 foot section of J channel like a doubler where it begins to taper off. But like most people he said check with Vans before I do anything. Either way I'll keep my chin up and keep building.:cool:

Dave

Back