What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I've joined the club

rbibb

Well Known Member
Took delivery of Marc Hudson's RV-10 kit (tail and wings) today so I'm officially an RV-10 builder. Obsessive types who read all the posts may recall my announcement a couple months ago of intention to build an RV-9A. Well as they say: plans change. Marc's project came on the market and, since he lived only 20 miles from me making transport a trivial obstacle, I jumped on it.

I really wanted to build a -10 but figured the more affordable -9 would get me there faster. But now in possession of what I term a "Quick Build lite" owing to Marc's excellent workmanship I rationalized the upgrade. A quick trip to Oshkosh for inspiration and a demo ride in the factory -10 has convinced me I made the right choice.

So after building my RV-4 almost twice (I'm keeping it BTW) I'm ready for the family mini-van. Perusing the manual and drawings created a "we're not in Kansas anymore" moment when I realized just how far Van's has come from the time when I'd call for support and the man himself would answer.

Gosh I better comb my hair and wash up before staritng this build. I guess my old steel rule drilled with 1.25" spaced pilot holes to layout rivet lines won't be needed on this one.

We'll I'm excited and am dreading what I've gotten myself into. My love/hate relationship with building is already making itself felt.

But man that bird flew sweet at Oshkosh.....

Well the bar has been set rather high but I will take your advice and get started. Reading plans and begin inventory (gotta see what I actually bought) come morning.

Tonite I'm enjoying the aura that comes from having fresh airplane parts under tthe roof...

New Builder

Congratulations! Having built a slow build (before pre-punch) RV-6 I can relate to the 1.25in rivet template remark. It still amazes me how better the new kits are both in documentation and building ease. However the fiberglass is only marginally better and there is a lot of it on the 10.

The is a lot of help here so don't hestitate to ask. Check Tim Olson's web site too.

Congratulations, Mr. RBibb...

...but we're curious. Just what does the "R" in RBibb denote?:D

It doesn't say in your profile.

Thanks,

Pierre:

That would be Richard as in Richard Bibb, my given and Christian names. Seems years ago, when Al Gore was just inventing the Internet, I was one of those few, those happy few, who got an email address at my place of employ. I remember sending email from a computer ON MY DESK to a customer (who worked for the Army) and actually having them receive it.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, now some million spam missives I've sorted through later, I'm less enthuisastic.

Well the naming convention used by whoever gave me my email address back then (some 25 years ago) was "rbibb@ whatever.com". So I've used "rbibb" as my user name ever since.

I'm quaintly nostalgic that way....

Richard

rbibb;347481...So after building my RV-4 almost twice (I'm keeping it BTW) I'm ready for the family mini-van...[/QUOTE said:
Think of the -10 as more of a BMW M5. The -10 is large but fast and handles very well, a lot like the M5.

A Piper Lance or Cessna 206 is more like a mini-van.

Back