What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It's Starting to Look Like a Fuselage

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Well, kind of an upside-down canoe from hellraiser. At least the pile of sheetmetal on the shelves is getting smaller.

I had all kinds of fun forming the "cone" transision from the baggage area to the tailcone. Luckily this only has to be done twice.

On a side note: When it comes time to rivet this pile together, I was planning on putting a bit of proseal at the intersection between the bottom and side skins in the cabin/baggage area. I figure a little weatherproofing in this area would go a long way. Anyone else do this?

FP20072010A0003U.jpg

FP20072010A0003S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks just like mine! I finished drilling all of the longerons and put the firewall on tonight. I think I need a bigger garage :)

I'm planning on laying down a little tiny bead of proseal between the fuse sections. It can't hurt, and it looks like I'll have to get some out anyway for sealing around the steps and main gear legs. I've had good success using a veterinary syringe to control the application of the proseal.

Waterproofing Can't Hurt

....I was planning on putting a bit of proseal at the intersection between the bottom and side skins in the cabin/baggage area. I figure a little weatherproofing in this area would go a long way. Anyone else do this?....
Colin,

At the time, I read more than one report of water collecting beneath the floors of some -A models so I thought it good practice to invest a minor amount of time and labor to fayseal the perimeter around the entire area before permanently riveting on the bottom skin. I faysealed the footsteps too. A look at your second photo clearly shows how water droplets can run down the sides of the fuselage and potentially gain a foothold seeping between unwaterproofed skins. In addition, even though some builders and Van's consider it unnecessary, I made the floors removable with screws and nutplates to facilitate periodic up close and personal inspection that *could* reveal potential water seepage or other problems that would otherwise be permanently hidden from view. The poor (pre-digital) detail photo barely shows some proseal squeeze-out along one small area of the left side and bottom skin.

When not flying, my airplane is almost always hangared from the elements so I cannot comment if the effort truly works at preventing moisture from gaining entry, but I tend to think it can't hurt a thing.

mjsb3d.jpg

Rick,

Thank you for the insite. I agree that even a just a small amount of proseal at the skin joints is worthwhile. I also plan to go with a removeable floor. Adding the nutplates isn't that hard or heavy and will give me some peace of mind.

What spacing did you use for the nutplates in the baggage floor?

proseal in the fuselage...

I haven't started my fuselage yet and only glanced at the plans (hope to get there soon!). But, it seems like putting proseal on the floor of the fuse might have the opposite of your desired effect and hold water in instead of keeping it out. Maybe I misunderstood and you are only sealing the sides where they meet the bottom skin? Which would make sense.

Something else to think about when I get there in a couple months, though I was really hoping to be done messing with that sticky black stuff in any significant quantity.

I haven't started my fuselage yet and only glanced at the plans (hope to get there soon!). But, it seems like putting proseal on the floor of the fuse might have the opposite of your desired effect and hold water in instead of keeping it out. Maybe I misunderstood and you are only sealing the sides where they meet the bottom skin? Which would make sense.

Something else to think about when I get there in a couple months, though I was really hoping to be done messing with that sticky black stuff in any significant quantity.

James,

I was just planning on using proseal where the side skins meet the bottom skin. Those skins don't overlap at all and just butt up to make the corner. Also. I was considering using proseal on all of the joints at the bottom of the cabin / baggage area to keep exhaust residue out since that is corrosive.

Back