What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It's Done! (Operation Pecos Creyola: The Return)

Jim P

Well Known Member
Well, after just over 14 flight hours and three days, I managed to get my RV from Grady's paint shop at Northwest Regional near Dallas, back to Seattle; what a trip! It was good to talk with Doug Reeves and spend time with Brandon at the shop as well. Needless to say, the trip back was much more challenging than the trip down due to the infamous Texas weather. Something about early spring high winds and late winter winter conditions made the trip somewhat interesting. For the detail comentary and pictures, see the page here. It's good to be home with a painted RV!

Great Story

That was most enjoyable! As a newish pilot with only 1.5 hr max cross country flights under his belts it is very helpful to read about the weather challenges you faced on your trip. I hope to be making those kind of trips soon. I will first start in Canada then do some in the US (once I get up the courage to face the Anal Probe, strip search, x-ray, cavity scan, family history, finger print, fico score, customs check at the border crossing :)

Jim,

I took one look at your photo of the clouds near Tehachapi and new we had crossed on the same morning. The clouds over the pass itself looked truly intimidating and I'll bet you felt the same way about them.

I had nearly the same experience as you up at Red Bluff. I had already climbed up to 13,500' to get above the weather around Shasta, and thought maybe I should fuel up first. The ASOS at Red Bluff convinced me to go for it and keep that altitude. Over the passes at Shasta with 160 Kts TAS, I was getting between 60 and 80 Kts GS! There was a nice hole over the Medford airport so I fueled there, but getting out to the North could not be VFR without going up on top of the clouds again. It looked like a great white curtain with snow coming to the ground.

So right back up through the hole to 13,500' with the strong headwinds until I was over the valley near Eugene, it was a broken layer and I had no difficulty finding a hole to descend down through. It was still bumpy with headwinds but I finished my trip back to Kent without getting much higher than 2000'. At least I could see that I was going faster than the cars on I-5!

I had attended the Alternative Engine Roundup at Jean Nevada, hosted by Contact magazine. I had strong headwinds for the entire trip except the last 30 minutes or so. I couldn't believe it landing at Crest Airpark with no wind after making that trip. I made good use of my turbo charger getting up on top several times along the way.

Randy C
RV7A Turbo Sube STI

Hey Randy, yea, I was really glad I stopped for the day as Monday was just a whole lot better up through Shasta and Oregon!

Yes

I flew from Klamath Falls to Corvallis this last Saturday..Cranked it up to 15.5K to get on top..70kt headwinds!!!..Lovely

Oh cheapest gas would have been at Lebanon..i.e premium Mogas for $2.48..:)

Frank

Glad you made it home safely, seems like we have a cold front every other day this last month that keeps the wind blowing. That RV in Casa Grande was my partner Larry Keeling in the Viper Red N8390! That was indeed his first flight, and about the 4th flight for the bird. We now have about 10 hours on the airplane between wind storms. He said he saw somebody fresh out of Grady's and that you have a real nice looking plane.

Back