What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this VS mounted too low on the fuse??

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

We're installing the tailfeathers now, and have run into a possible problem regarding how high the VS shall be installed.

The exact height from the lower hinge and to the longeron is given on the drawing, (7 and 11/32 if memory serves?) but that seems alittle too low?
For example will the lower fwd end of the VS end up alittle BELOW the aft skin just in front of it?

On my first RV, which was built by a US A/P, the lower fwd end of the VS ended up AT THE SAME LEVEL as the aft skin just in front of it.
The lower part of the VS on that plane had about 1/2 inch clearance to the tailwheel bracket for the TW.

By looking at the drawing, it seems like the lower part of the VS schould ALMOST rest on the mentioned tailbracket.

Schould I stick to the drawing and build on or adjust the VS alittle upward?

Here's a couple of pics of the clamped VS with the height exactly according to the drawing:

My 9 VS spar rested on the TW reciever at the exact dimension listed on the drawing. Still I would follow the print not the TW fitting. Overall I was uncomfortable with the instructions and procedures for installing the emp. I am hoping it'll fly straight. I think they should have used a jig or at least some tooling holes.

Here's aside pic of RV-7 VS install

RV7229.jpg

Are you sure you have the VS spar straight? If is not held straight, it can "sag" and allow the VS to lean forward causing just this problem.

Last edited:
Make sure you check the spar with a sraight edge to ensure it isn't "sagging". That will cause big trouble with the rudder attachment. I was surprised how much flex the spar had.

yep...

Hi.

Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, the VS spar is straight, checked with a very straight straight-edge. :)
And we've installed the rudder too, and it swings nice and free.

And yes; I was surprised too, how much sag the VS could have if I wasn't careful.

Does others than "Hydroguy" have the bottom of the VS so close to the TW-receiver?

Mine did too

I had to file about 1/8" off the bottom of my VS spar so that it wouldn't interfere with the tailwheel mount.

Back