What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this secure enough?

BJohnson

Well Known Member
I am connecting the elevator Dynon servo to the Skyview harness and have mounted at DB9 connector without the back shell below the servo. The connector halves are held togehter with tie wraps, and a third, larger tie wrap goes around the body of the connector and around an Adel clamp mounted to the structure. See picture. I'm still in the education mode of the wiring portion, so is this a secure enough mounting? Ignore another tie wrap passing in front of the connector.

p1060693lr.jpg

Can I leave the back shells off?

Can I tie them together with two small tie wraps?

Is a single tie wrap around the central portion of the shell and an adel clamp secure enough?

I still have easy access to this area. Any help here is appreciated.

Brice

I have not much experience, since this is my first airplane and I'm not flying yet.
But I can't see any particular problem in your installation.
I'm only wondering why you would not want to install the halves on the DB9 (steinair sells them) or why you could not apply a heat shrink tube enclosing the DB9.

Brice,

The install looks OK but I couldn't tell what was securing the connectors to the rib.

In my case, I glued a zip-tie base to the rib and then secured the connectors to that as seen in this picture.

Also, make sure you glue a zip-tie pad every six inches or so. Any place the wire can touch the aluminum it will rub, causing future problems.

As for gluing the zip-tie pads, I remove the adhesive pad and secure them with Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive. That stuff will hold the pads secure, regardless of how hot it gets.

In my case, for a connector like that, I'd use the backshells to hold things together. If you're leaving them off for weight savings, then the idea of a large piece of heatshrink over the hole connection is a good one - shrink it down tight, and cut it off when you need to disconnect. (Of course, you can probably save more weight than a pair of backshells by skipping one trip to the pasta bar....:))

Paul

wiring security

I would like to see the wires on each side of any connection secured either to a back shell or at least tie wrapped to other wires not associated with the connection. This will isolate vibration from the wire to pin connection that may already be stressed in the crimping or soldering process.

excellent points

Since me and electrons often don't get along (at least in school), I'll redo the assembly with the backshells. I had not thought about the vibration into the pin connector much but... Of course. No stress on the pin is good. the backshell has good strain relief. Thanks for saving me a AP failure down the road. Behind the connector is an adel clamp and the connector is tie wrapped to the empty clamp.

I love this forum. I get to prove how clueless I am in public, and I get good, wise responses back.

Thanks!

Brice,

Take a look at that picture I linked to. Notice how I connected the DB9's with four small zip ties and then used a longer one across the connector to secure it to the zip-tie pad.

You might want to replace that adel clamp as it could vibrate a good bit, which will shorten your wire life.

Last edited:
Thanks

Bill - for the photo. I like how clean that is.

Paul - That pasta bar trip avoidance is the best way to increase the usefull load with mandatory crew.

Last edited:
Back