What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is This Brake Cylinder Mount Welded Wrong?

rwagner24

Hey Guys,
Building a early RV8 Quick Build. Just about every step on the fuselage so far has been a adventure. Floors uneven, holes drilled wrong places. Been fighting with the adjustable rudder pedal setup for three days now and had to make some modifications here and there. I ran in to yet another problem today and I'm stuck on what the solution is. I mounted my left rudder pedal and when I attach the brake cylinder it dosent line up to the lower attachment ear. If I flex it to go on the cylinder will never return when the brake is released. The right one dosen't seem bad. I can't figure out whats wrong. Either the ear is welded on at the wrong spot or the pedal side where the cylinder attaches is bent wrong. Any ideas?

2en0o4k.jpg

2rfeff6.jpg

10mlys9.jpg

The parts look right.
Could it simply be an alignment issue at the top of the cylinder?

The bolt hole in the pedal could be angled down slightly, (towards inboard), or, the hole in the top of the cylinder is crooked (unlikely).

The tabs at the bottom look correct. (same place as mine.)

Paul.

Brake cylinders

Try putting it together without tightening the nuts , they get cotter pins and are not supposed to be tightened . Could also use a thin washer instead of the thick one under the nut .
Tom

hmmmm

Not obvious what is wrong. Everything looks normal. Maybe the tab at the bottom is just slightly twisted or angled? Can you just twist that tab a little so the pushrod comes close to the pedal?

I think I would mount the cylinder at the bottom, make sure it is vertical (in case the tab is twisted or angled) and then, measure the gap to the pedal and make a spacer to mount the cylinder pushrod in the right spot.

A lathe is great for this, but you can probably just saw off a length of 1/4 tubing and file the ends to the right final length. If you can't do that, then just a stack of washers will work, and adjust bolt length as needed.

The nuts are just finger tight. I had to walk away from it. I'll probably end up making some kind of spacer. I would have to bend the tab that far it would be crooked in the cylinder slot. I'll come up with somthing safe. Thanks guys!!!

Welded spacer

Would a spacer welded to the side of the pedal help? Seems like it would help with the torsion created by the offset.

Brakes

What is the dimension center to center of your tabs ? Of you cylinders ? I will measure mine tommorow and report back .
Tom

Brakes

My setup has the same thickness and number of washers as yours . Center to center of the brake cylinder rods at the bolts 3-5/8" , tabs 3-3/8" . Hope this helps .

Back