What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there a SB out for the Andair fuelvalve/ fuel selector?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
hi gang.

We're in the process of installing the fuelvalve-selector handle for the very last time ( I hope) on my -7.
The plumbing, the valve itself and all the fittings are in place, but we have waited to install the selector-handle itself to have better acess to the fuelpump and fuel-lines.

I have faint memory that there's a SB out for the Andair valve? Or maybe it's for the handle?
In any case, that'd be nice to do that now while we have acess.

I have searched the Andair website, Vans site and this site for info, but I've come up empty.

Does any of you know anything?

Thanks. :)

You might be thinking of the issue with the "knock-off" Andair looking handle that goes on the Vans fuel valve. There was an issue with the installation of that handle.

I have an Andair valve and I do my best to comply with all SB's related to components on my plane. I don't recall seeing any SB's on the Andair valve.
That said, when you install the handle, make sure that the "OFF" position lock-out pin engages properly. You should not be able to put the valve in the OFF position without lifting the center locking pin.

One thing I did not like on my Andair valve was that the selector handle can turn from left tank to right tank without having to lift the locking pin, relying on the internal detentes to hold position. I cleaned up the trough the pin rides in and filled it with JB Weld. Then after cure drilled out the epoxy for pin clearance in the Left and Right tank positions so I have to lift the pin to go from Left to Right in addition to Off position. I wanted to alleviate the possibility of accidentally moving the selector somewhere in between.

One thing I did not like on my Andair valve was that the selector handle can turn from left tank to right tank without having to lift the locking pin, relying on the internal detentes to hold position. ...

Funny, but that is one of the things I like about the Andair valve.

One feature of this valve is that it does not shut the fuel off from one tank until fully positioned to the left or right. Thus, if you stopped turning it half way, will draw from both tanks rather than shut the fuel of, as some valves do. While this could cause you to suck air if one tank is empty, I have not heard of this happening. Also, once positioned, the valve stays put.

Thus, if you stopped turning it half way, will draw from both tanks rather than shut the fuel of, as some valves do. While this could cause you to suck air if one tank is empty,

The exact reason I modified mine. I have no knowledge of this ever happening either. I just did not like that it could happen.

Back