What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there a drop-in replacement for an EDO-AIRE RT-553?

In the same vertical space you could fit most of the current COM radios with the transponder either above or below. New trays required, of course. Or maybe a Garmin 420/430, if you're made of money... :)

No drop-ins, strictly speaking. Pretty sure you don't have BNC antenna connectors, either. You can't replace those 1 1/2 type radios without a money upgrade. Do you want something nicer or do you just want to duplicate your COM & VOR functions by leaping forward a couple decades?

In a perfect world there would be a modern radio that would slip right in the hole.

I see that's not going to happen so I am hoping to find a used 720 channel radio that I can put in the same space. Looks like I'll have a glove box to store my maps under the radio when installed :)

My transponder is mounted i/f/o the co-pilot.

I guess I could mount them one over the other and free up the space on the right side.

I know can get an iCom A210 for about $900 but was secretly hoping to find a good but used 720 for 1/2 that. I don't need the VOR function at all, GPS is the way to get around up here in the great white north.

Back