What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IS THE 9 FOR ME

Hello I'm still trying to figure out if the 9 is the aircraft for me I?m 6?3 250lbs. I?ve looked over and sat in the 9 several times but I have yet to fly in one. Which model has more leg and head room? I have plenty of room just sitting in the 9 but during a long flight am I to big for this aircraft?????? I still have time to decide on which model to pick. I?m thinking of starting on a kit later this year. Also any builder in Las Vegas?

Jason

the 9's leg room

Jason,

I'm 6'2" and fly a 9A. On longer flights I like to take more than my share of available space and will put my right leg over near the far right rudder pedal on my wifes side for a couple minutes now and then. This and 3 hour flight legs does it for me. Typically I can get my right leg straight by placing it between the rudder pedals and to the firewall. This is the default position while flying cross country for me. The left leg is the problem! There is simply no straightening it unless I physically turn my hips a little and angle towards the passenger rudder pedals with both legs for a few minutes. This is more doable if you are alone. Most importantly for you will be to get the best seats that you can. Don't go cheap and skip on the comfor foam or you'll be in misery on long flights with your size. Secondly, If your significant other is a large person also you might not be comfortable on trips. I've had friends in my plane that are at least my size and woundn't even condider a long trip with them in there. For local flights up to an hour or so it would be doable. Another thing that I did was to have the seats made so that mine is thinner than my wifes. This gives more headroom and legroom. Lastly, I'm finding that I don't get uncomfortable until late into the 2nd leg of the day, or after an hour and a half or so into the 3rd leg of the day. Oh yeah, lastly again, cold makes it almost unbearable once your starting to get achy! Seal your plane well and depending on where you live go with possibly two heater muffs. Remember, this is for 8 or 9 hour days in the plane. A single 3 1/2 hour leg is no big deal.

Good luck in your decision,

Jason
I live in Las Vegas and am building a 9A. I am 6'1" and have had some concerns about leg room as well. I am working on the fire wall forward and finish kit now. If you would like to check out fit or have any questions about construction, drop me a line. My E:mail is [email protected]
Russ

I fly with my shoes off on long flights this gives me some extra room. I can then put my feet under the rudder pedals.

Welcome, Jason!

Of course the -10 is the most roomy, but I bet you didn't know the -8 is the 2nd most roomy for a larger build person? Just putting in that data point if you were unaware. The 6/7/9 cockpits are all about the same - when my 240ish pound buddy Dave flies with me we rub. Unavoidable. 9 hours up to Idaho in the -6 and my whole body aches.

Before you ask, the -8 flies just as easy as you can imagine.

Best always,
Doug

PS: Ever in the DFW area you can come sit in Flash all you want.

I'm 6' 1", 220#s, and I'm very comfortable in my 9a. Are you sure you guys have the seat all the way back? I have mine one set of hinges forwards and have plenty of room. 3.5 hour legs is all I plan for. I have a buddy that is 6'4" and has no problem either, although he has not flown his 9a yet, he has ridden in mine several times.

Seat position, rudder pedals, etc.

My RV-9A has the elevator trim cable mounted just above the fuel selector valve. That makes it difficult to put a leg across on the passenger side. My longest flight was a day flight from Chattanooga to Denver (8.5 hours) with a fuel stop at Fayetteville, Arkansas.

As for my seat placement, it is all the way back. My seats and interior are from Flight Line Interiors (Abby Erdmann) http://my.execpc.com/~erdmannb/rv7.html. I have the wedge cushion under one seat cushion. When established in cruise flight, I sometimes pull the rudder pedals up with my toes to let me put my feet closer to the firewall. I am 6-feet tall and tip the scales at 240 pounds.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

My co-owner is 6f 5in and 250lbs. He is ok, but has had a slightly thinner seat cushion made. It can be a bit of a squeeze at times, but nothing prohibitve.

If you're building a tip-up, I believe you can mount the roll bar higher than called out in the plans. There's plenty of plexi in the molded canopy to allow for this - I only wish I had thought of this when building my 9A. Adding another inch+ to the canopy height would allow more upright seating (more legroom) and would help to eliminate the need for concessions such as thin seat cushions and thin pads on my headset. While I really like Bose, the headband is an impossible fit in my A/C. Currently using Lightspeed QFR but looking at Halo and Clarity Aloft.

If you're thinking of building a slider, don't know about canopy height, but you can add shoulder room by carving out the upper side channels near the longerons - I believe several builders have done this successfully. This is less of an option in the tip-up due to the canopy lock linkage on the left side of the A/C.
Terry

Back