What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is my left elevator skin defective?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I just started the elevators on my 9A. My question is in regard to the inside of the left elevator skin.

As received, the blue plastic was missing (roughly torn) from the inside of the leading edge bend, the entire length of the elevator. This was on the left elevator only, the right skin was fine. I noticed this on the inventory but didn't think much of it.

What I failed to notice was a series of deep, evenly spaced scratches on the inside of the leading edge of the left elevator skin. There are 12 of them, nicely arranged down the whole length of the skin, spaced 2.75 inches apart. Here are some pics, I apologize if they aren't clear. You can see how the blue is missing from the inside of the leading edge.

I tried to remove one with a maroon scotchbrite pad, but even after a lot of work I could still see / feel the scratch. They are fairly deep (worse than they look in the picture).

I think the damage was caused by Vans tooling.

I am afraid these will cause problems later, since they are on the inside of the bent leading edge. I'd like to hear your expert opinions. I sent a question to Vans, but they are at all OSH (where I should be).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree...

Scott DellAngelo said:
Looks fine, but if it will make you sleep better confirm with Van's.

Scott
#90598 - N598SD Flying - 65 hours

I agree, with Scott. Hit it with Alodine and rivet on.

You're going to put deeper scratches on the inside skin while fitting it around the rib frame for the first time to cleco it in place.

Smooth a bit with Scotchbrite, prime, and move on.

Back