What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it really necessary to disconnect cables to stabilator at the tension barrels?

flipmike

Sponsor
Working on SB 67, which requires disconnecting the cables to the stab to remove it and the balance arm.

It would seem to simplify the steps by NOT bothering to loosen the cable tension barrels before disconnecting the cables at the stabilator horns.
It's only 40 lbs of tension or so....

Yes I'm lazy.....any reason why not just disconnect/reconnect at the stabilator horns?

I do have a cable tension meter, so if necessary (eg if I loosen at the barrels before disconnecting at the horns)...but looking to simplify.
Anyone ever done it that way?

Working on SB 67, which requires disconnecting the cables to the stab to remove it and the balance arm.

It would seem to simplify the steps by NOT bothering to loosen the cable tension barrels before disconnecting the cables at the stabilator horns.
It's only 40 lbs of tension or so....

Yes I'm lazy.....any reason why not just disconnect/reconnect at the stabilator horns?

I do have a cable tension meter, so if necessary (eg if I loosen at the barrels before disconnecting at the horns)...but looking to simplify.
Anyone ever done it that way?
Yes but I spent lot of trials and frustration and some innovative techniques probably over hours to install. in retrospect should have disconnected cables.

if you make a ''hook'' that attaches around the cable at the fitting a strong pull makes it as easy as can be compared to going after those barrels.

Back