What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IS IT REALLY AN RV-4?

Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
I read on this forum about Dave Anders' RV-4. I have seen the airplane and it is a beauty but... can you really call it an RV-4? A harmon rocket is not an RV...even though many parts of it are RV parts. How many mods can you make before its no longer an RV?

It is

Dave Anders airplane is definitely an RV4. The Harmon rockets have 0-540 engines, different motor mounts, landing gear and wingspans shortened in addition to thicker skins in places and a custom cowling.

Dave's airplane has a 4 cyl. Lyc, standard airframe, wings and tail. I'd definitely consider it an RV 4.

Regards,
Pierre

Parts is Parts...

Amen Pierre. I have seen Daves -4 up clsoe and personal and it is an RV4 through and through with the exception of a Harmon fastback, many cool but suttle fairings and very slight mods and riveted trailing edges on the ailerons and elevator like the RV9. It is of the highest craftsmanship and will cruise around 230 mph with a Lycon modified IO-360 pumping out over 220 horses and a special Hartzell tweaked to run it's best at 2900. You can read alot more about it on the cafe foundation website. www.cafefoundation.com. Dave deserves alot of credit for taking the design to it's utmost and high efficiency. As far as the HR2 goes, the plans state that only 25% of the RV4 kit parts go unused. I'd say that is ALOT RV, not just a little.

Rob Ray
RV4 formerly (1500 hours)
HR2 currently
F16 on weekends...

Yep.

I just got the nickel tour of Daves plane at Golden West, defiantly as stated above, although at this time it has removable wing extensions, and a special prop on it for a specific flight regime he is attempting-----------some NASA contest that I cant remember the name of at this time.

One of the big reasons for his speed is all the work he has done in reducing cooling drag.

NASA Aeronautical Centennial Challenge ...

Mike S said:
I just got the nickel tour of Daves plane at Golden West, defiantly as stated above, although at this time it has removable wing extensions, and a special prop on it for a specific flight regime he is attempting-----------some NASA contest that I cant remember the name of at this time.

One of the big reasons for his speed is all the work he has done in reducing cooling drag.
Probably the NASA Aeronautical Centennial Challenge being done with CAFE.

The PAV Challenge is the 5th one they say.

See this:

http://www.cafefoundation.org/v2/pav_home.php

James

Back