What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a Stall Warning Required?

I didn't install mine. Plugged the rivet holes with short rivets. Planning to use AOA indication, probably with the G3X.

In the UK, where things are more regulated, the RV-6(A)/7(A)/9(A) "require" a stall warning, the RV-8 does not. From my Test Flying, I would say that is valid i.e. the natural warning is not a lot except in the RV-8. I am not sure the UK has cottoned on to whether the RV-8A should have one.

An AoA system is accepted as a valid stall warner, after all that is what the Vans one is. It needs to be a valid "warning" it needs an audio/visual "alert" rather than (just) a gauge. I have the Dynon AoA, and whilst the screen indication is nice, it is not where you should be looking as you enter the flare on a short strip. But the intermittent beeps as you get close, to the solid tone as you are "on the limit" I find ideal ;)

In the US I presume it is all up to you?

In the US I presume it is all up to you?

Pretty much; at least right now, there's no requirement for homebuilts to have it. My dad's -6 (completed 2002) has no AOA or stall warning. My -7 wings came with the stall warning tab and the holes for it are already punched in the skin, but I'm leaving it out in favor of an AOA indicator with tone. I consider the latter a more elegant and informative solution.

Just curious to know if the stall warning is required equipment in an RV?

You don't need to put a stall warning (or an engine for that matter) on an experimental, but it would probably be a good idea :D

An AOA is superior to stock stall warning device.

...An AOA is superior to stock stall warning device.

I think of the stall warning as a one-bit angle of attack measurement.;) I installed mine just because it came with the kit. Probably wouldn't have otherwise. I am also plumbing the left wing for an AOA/Pitot probe.

Back