What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a bench vise really needed/required?

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
I'm still setting up shop even though I have drilled a few holes and riveted. Is a bench top vise really needed for a complete build? I was thinking that a woodworker's vise might work also but may not have the clamping power. All the reviews I read on line about new vises from the big box stores, were not encouraging; vise broke when using hammer, broke from over clamping, broke ...

I gave my old vise to my son-in-law. Lessons learned I guess.

Absolute necessity for any shop project.

You'll never regret marrying a good woman, or buying a good tool. It's the cheap ones that cause heartache.

Find the biggest, heaviest vise available and get a pair of soft jaws.
Mount it on the corner of your sturdiest workbench.

Cheers.

B051_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
You almost made me spew my coffee. A shop without a great vise is just a space for storing junk or cars.

Last edited:
And the bench needs to weigh, oh, 200 pounds, so you don't drag it around when bending parts, and keep ten or more feet clear of shelves or other tools either side of the vise that would inhibit inserting really long stock - like longerons.

Seeing you're in Middleton, I looked at some at your posting history. Welcome to EUL, a hotbed of EAB, RVs in particular. If you haven't meet some of the worthies there, PM and we'll get you introduced.

John Siebold
Boise

Yep, a vise is a necessity.

I've been using a heavy machinist's vise and sometimes wish I had a more general shop vise. I have removed the woodworker's vise and that one is in storage. It's the wrong tool for this.

It's occasionally handy to move the vise to a different table, for example, when I want to lay something flat on the table where the vise is at that moment. But while it's good to be able to move it around the shop, it's far more important that it be very rigid and firmly attached.

Dave

Definitely

Besides being required for forming longerons, the vise is essential for being your third hand on the rivet squeezer. I can't imagine trying to build without one.
I went shopping on-line and found a machinist's tool supply outfit that had a 5" Wilton (shown) for something around $80-90-ish. It was on my doorstep in a couple days. I fabbed the aluminum jaws. EZPZ.

Jump in and enjoy!

IMG_0205.jpg

Wood workers vise

So far I have been able to do about 99% of all of my vise work using a wood workers under the bench vise. You can see in the photo below where I used it to bend my longerons. The wood inserts between the jaws help keep the aluminum in good shape. The vise help up will to all the hammering with the rubber mallet but the screws that mount the vise to the bench required a little tightening after the evolution was complete. So, I would actually recommend both a wood working vise for quick and easy (out of the way) clamping for the majority of the work, and a nice big steel vise for the occasional times you need it. I actually store my steel vise under my bench and clamp it to the top when I need it.

2013-10-06+09.14.54+HDR.jpg

Darin

I'm still setting up shop even though I have drilled a few holes and riveted. Is a bench top vise really needed for a complete build? I was thinking that a woodworker's vise might work also but may not have the clamping power. All the reviews I read on line about new vises from the big box stores, were not encouraging; vise broke when using hammer, broke from over clamping, broke ...

I gave my old vise to my son-in-law. Lessons learned I guess.

Dan, your man card is hereby revoked. It will be re-instated upon providing evidence of procuring a proper vise. Next your going to tell us you don't own a framing square! :eek:

My under-the-bench woodworkers' vise worked about 80% of the time, but there were times the only solution was my bench vise. I wouldn't start another build w/o both.

If for no other reason, my bench vise has been handy to hold small parts for riveting. The steadier the work is, the better the rivet job. I clamp my vise to the table instead of bolting it so I can move it around as needed. Instead of "soft jaws" I duct taped a couple of tongue depressors to the jaws. Works for me...

That's a pretty good price for a 5 inch Wilton vise. Could you tell me where you got it?

Besides being required for forming longerons, the vise is essential for being your third hand on the rivet squeezer. I can't imagine trying to build without one.
I went shopping on-line and found a machinist's tool supply outfit that had a 5" Wilton (shown) for something around $80-90-ish. It was on my doorstep in a couple days. I fabbed the aluminum jaws. EZPZ.

Jump in and enjoy!

IMG_0205.jpg

Like the old adage "you should be able to pick up the plane by the oil cooler", similarly, "you should be able to pick up the bench by the vise". :)

And to answer the OPs question directly. YES. IT IS REQUIRED.

I have a pair of Craftsman 4". One at the home shop and one at the hangar. I looked at sears.com to see if I could find it because mine are 1980's vintage. The new ones don't look the same. I have beat the heck out of mine (no damage). Not sure about the new ones. They have a lot of sharp corners in the castings that make me wonder. I'd do the flea market search.

Last edited:
Wish I had one when I built my RV7 but didn't. Not required but if not have a bunch of really good clamps. I have one now for the RV8 build and very happy to have it. It will be a great investment that will help keep the inventory of swear words to a minimum.

A good bench vise is a must-have for all kinds of tasks you'll encounter building an RV. You might be able to get by without it, but certainly not without plenty of extra frustrations and difficulties that would otherwise be solved by having the vise handy.

A small, portable drill-press vise (3") comes in quite handy too.

As much as I believe in a solid mount for the vise I mounted mine to a 3/4" piece of plywood. I could use clamps to mount this to any part of the work bench when or where needed. This way I did not take up a valuble piece of real estate on the bench. Also a must as mentioned before is a set of soft jaws. I made some from plywood.

Vice

For me a must have. A big heavy duty one on a steel welding table and a 4" craftsman that I made a set of oak jaw inserts for. It's on one corner of a 2' x 2' work table, on 2 of the other corners are a small disc & belt sander & a small bench grinder. This table is on casters and gets parked within easy reach of whatever part of the plane I'm working on. Table has a 4 outlet elec box so its easy to clamp something in the vise and power up a dremel, soldering iron or whatever.

Don B
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress.
Engine is DONE!

Ok ok, in order to redeem my manhood I shall get a BIG vise :D

Seriously, I figured one would be needed put I feel like I'm bleeding cash trying to set up the shop. I shall begin my search for a decent/quality vise.

I have found it very use so far. Started with the wings and I am not sure how I would have done some tasks with out one. Examples:

1. Flattening thick parts, like the aileron hinges prior to riveting. There may be a way to do this without a vice, but a vice makes the job fairly easy.
2. Putting in the bearings into the aileron hinge.

Another useful task is clamping thicker parts to debur with a vixen file. Doable without, but easier with a vice.

sort of like a band saw. You don't necessarily need it, but makes life easier. For example cutting flap stiffeners apart.

A lesson in vices: Long before I ever build my 9A, I had a cheap vice, probably a 4 inch. It was mounted on a tall work bench mounted to the wall of my garage, about four feet high (I am 6'4".) I was straightening a piece of 1/4 X2" aluminum, why, I can't remember. I clamped it as tight as I could and got a cheater bar to try to squeeze the bend straight. I leaned into it, and there was a "bang" and something shot past my face and over my shoulder. The head had broken. I measured where it landed--23' from the bench, outside on the driveway. I have a heavy duty (and expensive) vice now. It still scares me to think of it.

Bob

If for no other reason, my bench vise has been handy to hold small parts for riveting. The steadier the work is, the better the rivet job.

I use mine for riveting a lot, too, except I clamp the bucking bar in the vise and hold the part in my left hand. I get more consistent rivets this way than any other.

That's a pretty good price for a 5 inch Wilton vise. Could you tell me where you got it?

I ordered it from Toolmart in Escondido, CA. Currently listed on their site as: http://www.toolmarts.com/wilton/11105.html priced at $78.58. Added California tax (don't get me started) and shipping.

Caveat: This is a cast iron, Chinese made vise. That said, I bought it anyway in the hope that Wilton, at least, cares about their name and reputation.

Pirep: Had to make the soft jaws - factory units were "jaws" alright?frightening to even look at, death to airplane parts. I use the vise a lot for holding the rivet squeezer. With the smooth aluminum jaws I have to honk down quite hard on the handle so the squeezer doesn't slip. I do that carefully and have never had an issue. Because it's only cast iron, I would avoid loading the thing on one side only. In all, very pleased with it.

Hope that helps.

OF COURSE!

Without a vise, what would your kids use to learn to "squish stuff!?" I for one, used my dad's vise even more than he did when I was growing up..:D:D

I have a heavy duty woodworking vise mounted under my 3' x 7' wood working bench. I use it a lot. Wouldn't build with out one. I haven't mounted my machinists vise yet. Will probably do as others and mount it on a piece of plywood until I get a workbench built for it.

Now all that said, I am building a RV12 which requires a lot less operations (maybe none) requiring a machinists vise.

Jim

Now all that said, I am building a RV12 which requires a lot less operations (maybe none) requiring a machinists vise.

Jim

Let us know how you bend the longerons without one. The best way for that is with the longeron dies, but it can be done with a rubber hammer.

Bob

Let us know how you bend the longerons without one. The best way for that is with the longeron dies, but it can be done with a rubber hammer.

Bob

Bob,

That's why I said "maybe none". Anyway I'm just about to that point of needing to bend my longerons so we'll see how that goes. I would love to get more info on the longeron dies you mentioned.

Jim

Yes;
You need a vise.
No you shouldn't spend too much on one.
I don't think I've paid for one yet.
Someone is going to give one away, be there and get it for free.
Maybe your dad or uncle are moving, and they don't want to take it. No one will mention a mere vise when moving, it's up to you to always listen for tools etc.
Garage sales can be good too.
Then Craigslist, where you might be checking on garage sales.
A new vise is my last choice.
The airplane gets the new stuff. after that, well, second hand is often fine.
An anvil is good to have also.

Back