What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad for the RV-7

jacksel

Well Known Member
Has anyone experimented with using the RAM IPAD yoke-mount system in the rv7 utilizing the windshield frame brace (slider only)? I have my EFB on my IPAD and I'm thinking about getting Wx and TIS using the garmin GL-39 and pilot app. I realize there will be some loss of visibility putting the IPAD up there but I'm getting really tired of what XM is charging me for Wx only (no TIS) on my 396.

It would be pretty awkward to use the yoke mount to attach to the crossbar. Better yet, if you have any real-estate on the panel, preferably passenger side, mount a RAM swivel ball to connect the iPad mount to.

RV7 iPad mount

I really like my mount...I have the 2" round w/ ball and then 3" arm on passenger side. I am out to the hanger tomorrow and will post a couple photos.

Ipad in cockpit

I tried that and under direct sunlight without a screen protector the Ipad made a good mirror. Could have used it to see who was behind me...Have tried several different locations and found the only place I could see it without glare was between my feet...not very useful down there...this was in my 6A..just don't think Ipads do the trick for me as a useful moving map GPS..

Other RV pilots on this site have had better luck but now I only use it for pre-flight planning etc

Passenger Side

I mounted my iPad on a RAM mount on the passenger side. My wife likes to look at it to monitor our progress during flight. I do have some visibility problems with it on that side. I have tried to hold it down near my fuel tank selection valve which seems to get it out of the sun and reduces the glare.

Back