What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 purchase now or later?

dhmoose

Well Known Member
So the time has come to consider the engine purchase and I am curious to know how I should time it. I am planning to purchase the IO540 from Vans and they have a 60 day lead time. I really doubt I'll NEED the engine in the next 3 months (plenty of other things to do) but definitely in the next 3-6 months. I'm finishing the cabin cover with the Aerosport overhead console ready for final install, cover fitted to fuselage, doors hung, McMaster seals done, etc and it seems like the next item is landing gear. After that, it looks like engine time. With Oshkosh 3 months away, I'm wondering if I should wait or just pull the trigger (and checkbook :eek:) on the $48,500 purchase. Does anyone know the percentage discount that Lycoming offered last year at OSH?

Any thoughts?

(apparently, my new phiosophy is to consult the group on purchases exceeding $45,000!...so prepare for the avionics email in a year or so :D )

Well, here is my logic. There's only a few things that are dependant on having an engine in place.

1) Hanging a propeller
2) Fitting and installing the cowl
3) CONNECTING engine control cables, sensors, etc...

So in theory, you could probably wait a long time before you HAD to have an engine to hang. If however, having that on the mount and being able to wrap up some of the wiring and panel stuff, then that would be the best guide.

I figured I didn't want to spend a ton of downtime waiting for an engine to come. But at this stage there are so many things that can be done in parallel. If you order your engine and have to wait, there's always the interior panels, dashboard, canopy exterior, doors, upholstery, etc... that you can work on.

So it depends on how much you want the engine now. There usually isn't much of a discount at OSH if you are already planning on getting a combo from Van's anyway (an extra $1000). If you aren't desperate for it now, then by all means wait. The only REAL problem is if you wait until near the end of the year and get caught in year end price increases. So given where you are, I would just make sure you order it before the end of the year and lock in this year's pricing.

$42,300 for the XIO540 and $6970 less the combination discount is hard to beat.

Do you do any better by waiting? I don't know, but when I wanted things to be ready.....I want them there!

Typically, the discount will be the same as they offered at Sun n Fun. You may be able to google to find an archived copy of the ad. Or ask if anyone saved a copy.

my 2 cents

The engine purchase thru Vans is pickled tight as a clam shell. You can purchase it anytime you get the best deal and just leave it in the box.

As I recall the OSH discount was free shipping, which cost me $250. So the discount for OSH in not that much if you really don't need it. I ordered mine for Dec. delivery to avoid the new pricing in 2012. It sat for 4 months and took up space, but it was nice to have it there for when I needed to install it. I believe you can order it with a specific ship date.

???

$42,300 for the XIO540 and $6970 less the combination discount is hard to beat.

Do you do any better by waiting? I don't know, but when I wanted things to be ready.....I want them there!

I'm not sure I followed the numbers here. I assume you're talking about the prop+engine discount of $1000, but where did the $42,300 and $6970 come from? The US to Australian dollar exchange rate doesn't explain it :)

Call to Vans

As I recall the OSH discount was free shipping, which cost me $250. So the discount for OSH in not that much if you really don't need it. I ordered mine for Dec. delivery to avoid the new pricing in 2012. It sat for 4 months and took up space, but it was nice to have it there for when I needed to install it. I believe you can order it with a specific ship date.

Ann at Vans confirmed that the Sun n Fun discount this year was for free shipping. That amounts to approx $250 like you said Bill. So, it sounds like waiting doesn't help me financially, and waiting until 2013 might set me back with another price increase like Mark said.

PS- I had an old flyer from Oshkosh 2010 and the IO 540 was listed at $39,000!! I can't believe that in only 2 years, the price has increased ~$10,000! A 24% increase in 2 years. Based on the facts (Lycoming has eliminated competition from the other engine shops by raising the component prices, Lycoming has offered deeper discounts to all but the 6 cylinder engines, cores are hard to find for overhauls forcing more folks to go the "new" path, etc), it sounds like Lycoming knows that they have us by the...ummm...checkbook. I think I'll pull the trigger sooner rather then later before another 24% increase. Thanks everyone!

engine

There is a core engine on Barn Stormers for 6800.00 that would be a good turn in for a factory engine. I believe their overhaul price is around 33,500.00 after you turn in a core. They only put out roller engines now so you would still get the new case, cam, and cylinders ect and save around 8,000 over the EXP engines from Vans.

Jesse

There is a core engine on Barn Stormers for 6800.00 that would be a good turn in for a factory engine. I believe their overhaul price is around 33,500.00 after you turn in a core. They only put out roller engines now so you would still get the new case, cam, and cylinders ect and save around 8,000 over the EXP engines from Vans.

Jesse

That's basically the route I went, except I had my builder (Barrett) procure the core fro me since I had no clue as to whether I was buying something usable or a boat anchor. It cost me a little more as a result, but it was worth it to me for peace of mind.

factory

If you call Lycoming with the engine s/n they will tell you if they will take it back. If it was a reman by the factory withing the last 10 years I think you get an extra rebate also.

Jesse

Don't bet on the long lead time. Both my prop and engine shipped at almost half of the published lead times.
I think the engine shipped within a couple weeks of placing the order.

Don't bet on the long lead time. Both my prop and engine shipped at almost half of the published lead times.
I think the engine shipped within a couple weeks of placing the order.

I had just the opposite experience 1.5 years ago. Lycoming did a good job of keeping me informed of the status because I had prior dealings with the rep.

If you buy the Van's OEM deal, you need to understand the alternator belt alignment issue if you also purchase a Plane Power alternator. I won't into details here, but my trials and tribulations and documented in another thread here on VAF.

Back