What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 Oil

Each one has a personality

Used to have a '67 Aztec C (250hp IO540's). She would always spit out anything over 8 qts.

Our RV-10 has the Lycoming XIO540 and we add 8 quarts which once the filter is full it settles on 7.5 quarts.

We operate between 6.5 and 7.5 and we did mark some extra graduations on the stick.

What I think happens is it blows less out under 7.

Ok, here is something that was pointed out to me this summer. An acquaintance of mine blew a jug on his Bonanza. he was able to return to his airport on partial power but lost a lot of oil. Based on his time of flight he was able to calculate that he was losing a quart every five minutes. In some parts of this country an extra five minutes of flight could make all the difference.
I did an experiment this summer by using 8 quarts and then 9 quarts. The blow by was the same. Each installation will be different but I would recommend adding as much as you can for safety sake alone, not to mention that one more quart dilutes contaminates that much more and also provided a greater heat sink for cooling. Experiment with your plane, start off with 8 quarts, fly it for a while, clean the belly and then add a quart and see what happens.

Back