What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 and Pmag

paul330

Well Known Member
I have been holding off buying my engine, waiting for the release of the 6-cylinder Pmag. Here is the latest quote from Brad at Emagair:

If everything stays on schedule, it will be ready a year and a half ago.

Otherwise, it?ll likely be another couple of months (my best guess ? not to be trusted).

In the meantime, Lycoming have just substantially raised their prices (thinks - how can THAT be justified in the current economic climate?) :mad:. Anyway, the stock experimental OEM engine from VANS is now slightly more expensive than the Aerosport offering. Obviously that can't last so I have put an order in with them. They tell me they have only 2 left at the old price and I have just snaffled one of them...........

Lycoming have just substantially raised their prices (thinks - how can THAT be justified in the current economic climate?)

Well if you look at the cost of materials, Iron ore hence steel, Aluminium and others, they have all gone up and your dollar down. So what do you think would happen?

The USA is part of the global economy, most Americans forget this. ;).......flame proof suit on and into my bunker!

Last edited:
I suggest you buy your IO-540 now and then change out the ignition later, when the 6 cyl P-mag is ready.

When I spoke to Brad on Thursday we discussed the new ignition and he has a number of beta testers lined up. They want to build some time on actual engines before releasing the product.

Apparently the major issue has had to do with fitment on all the different versions of six cylinder engines, both Lycoming and Continental, and that has slowed down production.

Apparently the major issue has had to do with fitment on all the different versions of six cylinder engines, both Lycoming and Continental, and that has slowed down production.

This is what they told me at Osh, the idea is to make a single unit for 6 cyl engines, fit both Lyc and Cont.

Pierre the funny thing is all my American friends love the competitive joking around, especially one from Thomasville GA. :)

Back