What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

io-540 throttle body gasket

blahphish

Well Known Member
Vans provides a steel bracket to support the control cables, which goes between the engine and the throttle body and it has only 1 gasket with it. Seems like there should be 2 gaskets - one between the Vans bracket and the engine, and one between the bracket and the throttle body. Am I missing something?

well, there was a temporary plate that I had to take off where the throttle body goes that had a gasket but it was solid with no hole in the middle. I could probably cut a hole in it. Just wanted to make sure I was making a correct assumption about there needing to be two gaskets.

You don't say where the engine came from but if the builder or Lycoming sent you both the engine and the throttle body then they should have sent you a new gasket, too. (Look in bags that have hardware, ignition leads, etc., see if a gasket is in there.) If you can't find one I'd call the builder or Lycoming and have them send you one. It's always best to start with a new gasket if at all possible.

And yes, you need two. Vans FF kit should have had the second one.

Back