What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 540 K1A5 Angle Valve Baffles

I am building a Murphy Moose with an IO 540 K1A5 Lycoming engine. It is a 300 HP angle valve engine - most commonly used in the Cherokee 6/300. I am looking for a baffle set for the engine. I am a multiple-time-builder-offender, having built a Pietenpol, RV-9A, and RV10. I really like the Van's baffle kits. I'd jump at the idea of using an RV-10 kit and modifying it for my Moose project. I am told that this won't work, since the angle valve engine has different dimensions and geometry when compared to the straight-valve kit for the standard RV-10 D4A5-model engine. Can anybody provide any insight or guidance. Will the Van's kit work? Should I buy a used Cherokee kit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps you can cobble together a hybrid kit. Use the aluminum side plates for the IO-360 or IO-390 (angle head) engines, adding two additional plates for cylinders 3&4 (they will need to be modified). Use the rear plates and ramps form the IO-540 engine.

Or some such combination….

I made the alumium side plates and ramps for my first RV-10 build but had hand drawings from James Aircraft to get me started. Not all that hard, but will use the standard IO-540 baffle kit as the starter for the new RV-10 James Cowl and plenum build.

Carl

Back