What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540-D4A5 core value?

fehdxl

Well Known Member
I have my eye on a IO-540-D4A5 core. No mags, no fuel injection, no starter, no alternator, no accessories at all. Just a cam, crank, jugs and case. Hasn't been overhauled in the 1997-2006 time period, so the crank shouldn't be recalled. Not sure about the run-out.

Can anyone comment to its value if it's a first run case? How much less if it's a second run?

Trying to educate myself without getting into trouble. Sure would be nice to just write a check to Bart, Allen, Van's, etc...but I think there's a less expensive way for a completely safe engine.

Thanks!

-Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

If you found one you're one of the few who have found that model. There are quite a few C4B5's out there at 250HP.

I bought a new model from Bart. If I were in your shoes I'd give him a call and see how his prices compare for a new, overhauled (they find the core), and overhauled (you provide the core).

He should be able to tell you what could be wrong with that case and how he would suggest testing it before the rebuild. He's a good man.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I spoke with Bart at OSH and agree. If things don't work out, I may just pull the Aerosport Power trigger. Sure would be a lot less work, but not nearly as educational. I know the engine is not a place to go cheap. But the cost for safe is x, and the cost for extra safe (if there is such a thing) is much more than x.

Thanks again for your input.

-Jim

It is possible to save money by purchasing a core and getting a reputable builder to work on it. If you pay more then 10K for the core then you might as well head to Bart or another known supplier as there will be no savings. It is also important that you emphasize with your rebuilder that nothing is to be second rate on the engine. New jugs, cam, rod bolts etc etc. This is NOT a place to cut corners. My first plane had an engine rebuilt by a local builder who was also the lead mechanic in an engine shop. It the first two hundred hours I had two engine failures. I believe he was using parts that did not make the cut at the certified shop. I have experienced no problems on subsequent engines that have been built with standards that equal or exceed certified standards. Accept nothing less.

Building my own engine from a core

So I am about 80% done building my own engine from parts. I got most of the parts from a salvage shop and then sent them all out to be overhauled and tagged. I got 6 new cylinders and can't seem to stop buying stuff from aeroinstock.com (they are on speed dial now).

Most the time I am happy with my decision to do this as I have learned a ton (hey isn't that what experimental category is for), but I have had two IA's working with me and a engine shop (Aero engines of Winchester) that have made this build a success. I have probably 21k in the engine now, but like I said everything was tagged or new that went in to the engine. I know every part on it now and even know what some of the parts do.

Would I do it again, in a heart beat.
Would I do it differently, in a heart beat.

I know that does not answer your core value question, but if you are thinking of building up from a core and want to talk about it with someone who has done it send me a PM.

After an engine discussion a few weeks back over on Matronics, I decided to look into a rebuild after I found out Lycoming had stopped selling 540 kits builders like Mattituck, BPE, etc. After doing some research I determined I simply did not know enough to feel comfortable buying a core on my own.

So at Osh I sat down with Rhonda from BPE to discuss my options. Long story short, I decided to go with a C4B5 core they already had on-hand and cut them a check for a rebuild. On a side note, the -C4B5 is derated with an RPM of 2450 hence the 250HP. The engine will make 260HP at 2700 rpm. They simply have to change a counterweight.

According to the lycoming parts catalog the C4B5 and the D4A5 use the same counterweights, so I am confused as to what you were told about the counterweights?

Also, if you have a couple of IAs around assembling the engine is not so bad. The hard part is making sure you have all the right parts on hand.

After an engine discussion a few weeks back over on Matronics, I decided to look into a rebuild after I found out Lycoming had stopped selling 540 kits builders like Mattituck, BPE, etc. After doing some research I determined I simply did not know enough to feel comfortable buying a core on my own.

So at Osh I sat down with Rhonda from BPE to discuss my options. Long story short, I decided to go with a C4B5 core they already had on-hand and cut them a check for a rebuild. On a side note, the -C4B5 is derated with an RPM of 2450 hence the 250HP. The engine will make 260HP at 2700 rpm. They simply have to change a counterweight.

Hi Jim,

I did my own O/H on my IO-360-A1A, I had help with the build and as far as getting all the parts lined up I had help there too, Bart and Sue at Aerosport Power had everything I needed and they helped me over the phone determine what I had and what I needed, they took the parts right off there shelf and sent them out, great people! The engine just got its 1000 hour valve guide inspection and passed with flying colors. I don?t know what the right price is but if it?s right then you can have a great engine and learn a lot along the way.

Yep

According to the lycoming parts catalog the C4B5 and the D4A5 use the same counterweights, so I am confused as to what you were told about the counterweights?

That is a true statement Jim. The engines are identical with the execption of max operating RPM.

Last edited:
Back