What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 prop choices

s4lorne

Hi all-

I think I have settled on the 390 for my 7A since the cost is actually the same or less than a new or rebuilt IO 360 A1B6.

Anyway- Now I am looking at props and someone mentioned that there was a hartzell blended airfoil available earlier (Hartzell Propeller Model HC-C2YR-1BF/F7497) and maybe my google skills are rusty but I can't seem to locate this unit.

Can anyone help me out here? I am pretty sure I want a Hartzell and am not really interested in a composite prop.

Thanks in advance-

dan

Good question! I don't see why a Hartzell BA for an IO-360 wouldn't serve well. It is kinda what I have been planning on doing in the back of my mind. I guess that Hartzell hasn't done any testing on it yet and therefore cannot offer any advice???

:confused: CJ

Thanks

Sid-

Thanks- that was what I was looking for. I couldn't find it on Vans or the Hartzell site either.

I ordered this prop

Dan, I recently ordered this Hartzell new prop F7497through Vans on 6/20/06 for my rv7a price is 5950 eta in 8 weeks mike

Prop for IO-390

In addition to the information provided by Marc Cook and Hartzell, you might want to check with Dick Martin (Try an email on the matronics RV list. I don't know if he subscribes here.) He has tested several types of props. I believe he uses an Aerocomposite prop on his RV-8.

Hope this helps.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
Tulsa, OK

That Aerocomposites prop is beautiful, but hold onto your wallet, it's currently selling for about $11,500! :eek: And yes, that's the two blade prop. The three blade is higher still.

Dick is swingin' the AeroComposites Prop, and YES... it is pricey!

For the cost differential and putting the weight where it counts on a -7, I feel the Hartzell is the better fit.

The -8, well that's another story. It likes light all around.

...at least, that's my take on it.

:rolleyes: CJ

YIKES!

$11,500- Ouch. Beautiful prop but I need that extra $5500 for other stuff. I think that will just about cover the Dynon engine and flight displays that I think I am going to install.

Heck- I probably need that extra for other stuff that I don't even know about or have forgotten about.

Dan

One more question-

what do you all think about using the Sam James cowl on the 390? Are there many ill effects to having to run a prop extension?

Thanks-

Dan

The MT option

Check with Kevin Russell at American Propeller (530-221-4470) about an MTV-15B blended airfoil (aluminum blades) CS prop. It's lighter than the Hartzell, has no RPM restriction on a Lyc, and is a certified prop. The prop is sold with a beautiful, painted kevlar spinner, a powder coated backing plate with both filler plates. Everything is balanced and numbered. I am using this prop on my Superior XP-360 and I love it.

Bob

Bob Brown said:
Check with Kevin Russell at American Propeller (530-221-4470) about an MTV-15B blended airfoil (aluminum blades) CS prop. It's lighter than the Hartzell, has no RPM restriction on a Lyc, and is a certified prop. The prop is sold with a beautiful, painted kevlar spinner, a powder coated backing plate with both filler plates. Everything is balanced and numbered. I am using this prop on my Superior XP-360 and I love it.

Bob

What is the price range for this? Thanks for the help.

Hey Bob,

What is the TBO and PM required for this prop? I seem to recall nixing MT for something. I think that was it. Is there some whacky low TBO or something with that setup?

Sounds unbeatable!

:eek: CJ

MT Aluminum blade CS prop

The MTV-15B prop has a 1000 hr TBO, and a TBO by calendar time of 6 years. It has no annual maintenance requirements, as it is a sealed hub (no grease zerks). The blades are held in place by large C-clips that fit into the hub. The hub is shot peened anodized aluminum.

Bob, yesterday I called Kevin at American Prop. He said they more or less have DOUBLED that TBO! You may want to talk to them and see if it applies to you!

He also said that MT has not tested it with the IO-390 and the match isn't a go. Soooooo, the Hartzell BA is likely the choice for us.

He went on to say that the price we get from Van's is unbeatable and we SHOULD buy the Hartzells from Van. However, the MT governors that Van sells need to be sent to Germany for service. He sells an American made unit for a few dollars more. See www.pcu5000.com for his governor.

Has anyone used one of these? I like the sounds of it.

:D CJ

pcu5000

I am currently running the PCU5000 prop governor on my airplane. I've had no issues with it, it appears to be an extremely well made piece of equipment and looks to be a knock off of the MT governor.

Bob Brown said:
I am currently running the PCU5000 prop governor on my airplane. I've had no issues with it, it appears to be an extremely well made piece of equipment and looks to be a knock off of the MT governor.

No issues in how many hours?
Tom

It is a knock off, but not of MT. MT does not make or design that prop governor, they attach their name to it. It is made by Jihostoj. The PCU500o is an american manufactured governor which is virtually identical.

I have a PCU5000, and have held it side by side with the Jihostoj. They seem identical, and install in the identical spot, using the same brackets.

Darned work!

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to leave you hanging on responses, but I see all the info is here.

I've been traveling on business and haven't had a chance to respond...(or fly)

Yes, the PCU5000 uses all the same mounts and brackets as the Jihostroj and appears identical...however, the paperwork that came with mine was from MT and I have been unable to locate any information about the company that made the PCU5000, in reference to warranty information or serviceability or adjustment.

Back