What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 from a IO-360A1B6

AKMac

I'm New Here
Hello, long time lurker wanting to build an RV-14.

I was just wondering if anyone has built a IO-390 using an IO-360A1B6 as a core?

At nearly $40k for a IO-390, I'm wondering if I can get the costs down to something reasonable. Even if the cylinders are $4k a piece, I still would be around $21k-$25k for a total engine.

IO-390

Hello, long time lurker wanting to build an RV-14.

I was just wondering if anyone has built a IO-390 using an IO-360A1B6 as a core?

At nearly $40k for a IO-390, I'm wondering if I can get the costs down to something reasonable. Even if the cylinders are $4k a piece, I still would be around $21k-$25k for a total engine.

I bought an IO-390 through Van for well less than 40K. Lycoming offers a discount at Sun-n-Fun and OSH then an additional discount if you buy the prop at the same time. I can't remember the exact price, but it was less than an IO-360.

Thanks guys.

I guess the propeller governor being in the wrong location would be a no go! I will contact barrett and see what they say.

I'm just joking here, but I think it would almost be less expensive to buy some machining equipment and build my own engine. :)

Lycoming builds IO -390 variants with the governor in both acc case and the front locations.

The factory Lyc comes with roller lifters and cam to match.

Back