What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-375 with a Hartzell CS Prop

Gary's RV7A

I'm planning on using a Hartzell blended airfoil C2YR-1BFP/F7497, 74 inch diameter propeller with my AeroSport IO-375. Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Thanks!

I've got about 100 hours experience with that exact prop on an ECI Titan IO-360 on an RV-8, including two flights from Texas to Oshkosh and back, and it's pure awesomeness. Very smooth.

I can only imagine that on an IO-375 it's only gotta be that much better.

Question

I've been told that a metal constant speed props are not recommend for this engine. Something about the 375 engine doesn't have moveable counterweights and is susceptible to vibrational stresses. I haven't found any documentation stating this, just second hand information that I'm questioning...

Words from Bart

I've been told that a metal constant speed props are not recommend for this engine. Something about the 375 engine doesn't have moveable counterweights and is susceptible to vibrational stresses. I haven't found any documentation stating this, just second hand information that I'm questioning...

You might want to take a look at this post that I made about a year and a half ago. Bottom line from Bart is that the 375 didn't seem any different from the parallel valve 360 in this regard. BTW, as far as I know, the angle valve (200 HP) 360 is the one with the counterweights. The parallel valve 360 (180 HP) does not have them.

io-360

io-360 ai1a 200 hp has no counterweights. That is why there are rpm/mp restrictions.

Thanks for the information from Hartzell

Wow, there are quite a few restrictions in regards to tuned exhaust, tuned inductions, electronic ignition and continuous operation between 2,350-2,550 rpms. I think they've covered their assets... Welcome to the world of experimental aircraft.

Thanks for the information from Hartzell

Wow, there are quite a few restrictions in regards to tuned exhaust, tuned inductions, electronic ignition and continuous operation between 2,350-2,550 rpms. I think they've covered their assets... Welcome to the world of experimental aircraft.

Back