What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 mount problems

I went to hang my engine today and had an major fit problem. I have a 7A with a IO-360 angle valve engine. I think I may have the wrong sump or the wrong mount, there is no way the two will fit together!! Does anyone have a side view picture of this engine and a 7A engine mount?This will help me determine which part is wrong.
Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

Try to explain why they won't fit, what is bumping on what, and post a picture.

Pete

mount

Sorry, the camera is not working, but the sump is hitting against the two tubes that go down to the nose gear tubes, these tubes are pretty much vertical and the sump protudes backwards into them.
Gary

solved

After more research, I have discovered the problem. My engine started as a C1E6 and the sump was remachined to face forward, the problem is the C series sump protrudes rearward about 2 or so inches farther than the A series sumps. I will need to change the induction system to the A series to make this work. At least this is a easy fix, I would rather do this than change the engine mount.
Gary

My friend, Gary Hamilton, ran into the same problem on a C1C6 that I sold him. He ended up with a new sump and tubes (not cheap) as there are usually no used sumps and tubes available.

If you want his phone number contact me privately,

Deene.

I was about to tell you what the problem was... Yep good 'ole C sump. Piper Arrows used that setup for some reason.

Is this unique to A models?

Is this interference unique to the nosegear models? If those two tubes were missing, would the -C sump fit?

I'm wondering if the -C1E6 or -C1C6 engines are viable candidates for my RV-7. Is it hard to turn the induction to face forward? I assume there's no way to duct air to it if it's in its stock rearward-facing orientation?

It fits an -8

mgomez said:
Is this interference unique to the nosegear models? If those two tubes were missing, would the -C sump fit?

I'm wondering if the -C1E6 or -C1C6 engines are viable candidates for my RV-7. Is it hard to turn the induction to face forward? I assume there's no way to duct air to it if it's in its stock rearward-facing orientation?

I have the modified sump on my RV-8. I'm not sure what the differences are between the -8 and -7 mounts.

Here are two threads that I described the mods that were needed to the sump:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11482&highlight=sump+modified

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=7501&highlight=sump+modified

Good luck, Karl

Back