What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-M1B sump question

havent

I'm planning to use an IO-360-M1B with the Airflow Performance fuel system with purge valve in my 7 and wanted to use a forward facing cold air sump as well. In this setup, the FM-200 fuel servo mounts to the snout of the sump intake. There's a photo of this sort of setup at the ECI Titan website. Evidently, the FM-200 servo is pretty heavy and the Airflow Performance folks recommend some sort of extra bracket to support it. Being a rookie at this sort of thing, I'm hesitant about adding a support to the engine mount for something attached to the underside of the engine. I've checked with Larry Vetterman who has an exhaust system that will work with the ECI sump, but I'm worried about this extra support bracket under the engine fouling up the works. So my questions are as follows:

Are any of you aware of forward facing cold air sumps other than the ECI unit that will not require extra support for the FM-200 fuel servo?

Or, is there another way to support the FM-200 servo with the ECI unit which keeps the whole contraption fixed to the engine and won't require a separate support?

Thanks,

Hank Avent

not sure if this applies

I have the same AFP system but on the Superior IO-360 w/ forward facing sump. The sump is plenty strong and I can't see how the weight of the AFP unit would be too much for the 4 attach bolts to carry. I am currently working on figuring out how to attach the throttle and mixture cables. I think I got the mix worked out but the throttle is a pain!!!

I have the same AFP system but on the Superior IO-360 w/ forward facing sump. The sump is plenty strong and I can't see how the weight of the AFP unit would be too much for the 4 attach bolts to carry. I am currently working on figuring out how to attach the throttle and mixture cables. I think I got the mix worked out but the throttle is a pain!!!

Re: the throttle bracket, you'll have to fabricate your own bracket. The one supplied by Van does not orient correctly and the hole alignment is not correct. Hopefully with the new sump, this will not change.

Also, you will need to get a longer throttle cable than what Van's recommends. Not sure of my size but if it were a couple inches longer preferrably.

Back