What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-A1B In a RV-6A?

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I have been keeping my eye out for an engine and have a possible line on an IO-360-A1B. This particular engine has had the sump swapped for forward-facing induction.

My only concern is the weight and that it is 200hp vs. Vans recommended max of 180hp.

Has anyone mounted the angle valve engine in their 6A? How did your CG turn out? I am planning for a fixed-pitch prop so I think the CG will be ok. I am also a big guy which will push the CG aft. Of course, gross weight may also be a problem.

From what I have read, the A1B has a dry weight of 295+ vs. a parallel valve 360 at around 285.

Tight Squeeze...

Colin,
I have inspected and flew a 6A and two -7A's with angle valves recently. It was a tight fit in the stock 6A cowling and required a large oil cooler and specific sky tech starter to clear the lower cowl. The 6A had an MT on it and the battery mounted behind the baggage compartment. Other than that it flew great and had excellent climb. Didn't go much faster. (they never do)
Lycoming designed the angle valve back in the day primarily for Mooney to get some extra beef and horses into the F model and beyond. My choice however would be to buy a parallel valve IO-360, have LyCon flow the cyllinders, balance the crank and match the rods and pistons. I helped shoe-horn one into an RV4 that flew great and dynoed at 205 HP!
My airboat racing friend weighed an angle valve IO-360 once in front of me sans accessories. It weighed 75 lbs more than a parallel, mainly the cyllinders and the the counter-balanced crank add the pounds. It is a good engine though.

My Dos Centavos...

Smokey
HR2
RVX

Last edited:
I found a couple threads from years past discussing the same topic. Between that and the above, I think it would be best to stick with the parallel valve engine. The fit and extra weight are just too much to offset the minimal benefit.

Now to continue my engine search...

I O 360 angle valve

We put a angle valve in our 6.really performs great, was a little hard to get it to fit put blisters on the cowl really no big deal. The plane with c/s speed full steam panel oregon aero seats no paint was 1069 lbs.Didn't gain much speed but the climb is awesome.With the power set for 160 kts e have about 8 gph burn[ We call the plane Milk Money].I use it some to go to our place in the Idaho backcountry Big Creek where it nice to have the extra hp.I guess I would not rule a angle valve as it works fine for us David

Back