What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 320 installation

jabodine

I have access to an IO 320 engine that I would like to install into the 7A that I am building and I'm getting ready to order the finishing kit. Van's says that they have..."no suitable cowling or firewall fwd kit for the fuel injected IO 320 D1A engine."

What have others done under these circumstances?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

Hi Jonathan...

Firewall Fwd Kit is not a full kit as per the other kits, it is a collection of parts, and many do not order it at anyway. Some modifications / other parts you'll need (baffle kit, hose lengths).

The Cowl is fairly easily modifiable - which is probably needed anyway. Just lots of hours of fibreglass work :mad:

Check Vans can supply an engine mount (not sure if 320 and 360 differ?).

An RV-7/8 will go perfectly well with a 320, but many on here (VAF) will fall over and claim it won't fly. As such, it may well reflect poorly in resale value which may be a factor you want to consider?

HTH
Andy

Same setup.

Hello

I have the same setup and Vans could send me a cowl. I just have to cut off the scoop and mount one for the O-360, it is an inch or two deeper.

I can find numbers and pictures, give me a bit time.

320 on RV-7A has a enginemount that is 2" longer, that helps with the lighter engine w&b wise.

regards, Dominik

I'm not sure I agree with Dominik about the engine mount length - an O-320 and O-360 is the same length and weighs with 10lbs of each other, so there is no need for a different mount.

You can also choose how to mount the injector - if vertical go with an O-360 cowl as the injector is nearly the same length as a 360 carb (although you may need a spacer to get the FAB in the right place vertically, if you use one). You could turn the injector horizontally, I think AFP supply an elbow, and you could use a Rod Bower filter, that would allow you to use a flat bottom ('injected') cowl. There is also the Sky Dynamics 'Injector Relocator Kit' - often used on Pitts. Which ever way you go some glass work on the cowl is no big deal. I don't think there are any other significant differences?

From the FF kit perspective, its not nearly so critical as many people don't buy the full kit. Van's will send you a contents list, and you can select what you want. Call Larry Vetterman and talk about exhaust pipes. A baffle set for a 320 will fit. Your control cables lengths will be bespoke so no point in buying those in a kit. I don't like the Van's flexible hoses and I think there are better engine mount rubbers available, so I have bought them separately.

If you know the history on the engine, and can get it for a good price, I would go ahead and not worry that it is a slightly 'non-standard' set up. Builders have been installing engines that are not those 'recommended' by Van's since the early days - there's plenty of experience around to help you over come any problems that you might encounter.

Pete

The 320 enginmount is longer.

Hello

The enginemount for the 320 RV-7A is by 2" longer than the on for an 360.
This is to bring the W&B into a better situation, as well known on RV-6, if you have alot of baggage and a 320 with a light prop, your tail heavy For the RV6 they had the same mount for 320 and 360. (got this from Ken Kr?ger at Vans)

The Cowl that I got from Vans is for the RV-9 with a 235 (thats what I read out of the number on it: Top 9 / Bottom 90235 / Scoop 6-0360-1)

Will look for the exact number if you need.

Dominik

OK, thanks for pointing out that there are now two lengths of engine mount available, although it seems a little simplistic to make the dividing line 320 vs 360? Comparing apples with apples, an O-320 is about 7lb lighter than an O-360. An IO-320 is about 3lb heavier than an O-320. Gets confusing when talking IO-360s. A 180hp parallel valve IO-360 (eg IO-360-Bxx) can be 30lb lighter than a 200hp, angle valve, motor with counter weights (eg IO-360Cxx5). A Hartzell can be 45lb heavier than a wood prop. So an O-320 can be 85lb lighter than an IO-360 - sure mounting it an extra 2" further forward would be handy.

A 320 with a Hartzell, heavy starter & alternator might need a short mount? Using a long mount with a heavy set up would make the airplane nose heavy and not very pleasant to fly. I think its more complex than do you have a 320 or 360.

Pete

Just...

order the IO-360 kit and and a larger weight crush plate weight for FP prop and you'll be fine. If C/S prop, same with nothing to worry about... been there and done that. You will actually get better engine cooling too boot! :)

if you need a FI spacer email, we might make you one... and yes the 320 mount is 2"'s longer

Last edited:
My experience

I have an RV9A and installed a Aerosport IO-320. The design was optimized around a 160 hp engine according to my information. I have a vertical induction with an Precision Silverhawk. The Injector throttle body fits like a carburator. I had to modify the cowling with the 0-360 scoop since I originally planned on a carburator. The biggest problem I am having is to get the fuel hose to the inlet. There does not seem to be adequate clearence aroung the throttle arm on the right side, if I place the fuel hose on the right side under the oil sump. If I loop the hose around to the left and come up this way to the firewall, then the hose runs under and below the crossover exhaust and then along more exhaust on the ledt side and gets trapped in the engine mount. The right side approach is the best. Not familiar with the horizontal mounting hardware but it may solve this problem

Back