What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inversed dimple

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
Has anyone of you ever had the problem that you accidentally inversed the direction of a dimple ?
I'm sure many have.

The question is, can you safely inverse the dimple or should I re-order a new piece and scrap this one.

(i'm on a nutplate attach ear rivet hole on the E615PP reinforcement plate.)

Hi,
when I have to install nutplates, I don't dimple the mounting holes but I countersink them for NAS1097 rivets. NAS1097AD3-xx rivets have the same body diametr of AN rivets, but with a smaller head, so you just need a light countersink. This way you'll not need to dimple the nutplate ear hole.

In your case, you can flatten the wrong dimple using a copule of flat dies and then countersink (on the correct side!!!!) for NAS rivets. I think that dimpling in the opposite direction will weaken the part.

The way it was explained to me is that you are allowed to reverse the dimple once while still maintaining adequate structural integrity of the part. Yes I did this on my practice kit.

I have done one or two holes reverse then fixed it. After 13.5 years and more than 2,470 flying hours, I cannot find or remember the parts that the mistake was made on.

Thanks guys. I understand it will be ok. I sent a picture to Vans also, will let you know here once I have an answer from them.

Just received an answer from Vans Support on my inversed dimple question:

"In thin metal like this, you can usually reverse a dimple (and we've all done it!) without any
bad effect. Yours looks fine -- it is ok to use.
"

Back