What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction

zoot

I'm New Here
Hello

I'm new here. A pilot in his 50s, living in Ireland, seeking to spend considerably more time on aviation than I have in the past! My goal is to move well beyond my low 180 hour PPL experience, towards aerobatic and instrument flying. I want deeper experience both for the obvious safety reasons, but also because I so enjoy learning and flying (of course!).

Having flown around 10 hours on an RV7A about a decade ago and enjoying that experience immensely, is the reason for my appearance here, on VAF. Time-wise, I'm becoming more convinced that I should possibly buy, instead of build, to enjoy more flying sooner, than later. I'm happy and very likely to want to improve and modify an aircraft I purchase.

I have a technical background, having studied aeronautical engineering in the 90s for a few years, before switching to applied maths and ending up in the Internet tech world instead! In my twenties, I restored an old Morris Minor car, rebuilding its engine and suspension. As a kid, I also built RC aircraft and cars, so the interest and practical bug for building/repairing is well formed.

I'm leaning towards either an RV4 or RV6 to avail of the generally lower price of such aircraft, though the 7 would be my preference. Having pored over the forums here for some time, on and off, it would seem that there isn't too much of a difference between the 6 & 7 in terms of how they fly, so I'm content to pursue ownership of a 6 at this point.

Dale

Hello

I'm new here. A pilot in his 50s, living in Ireland, seeking to spend considerably more time on aviation than I have in the past! My goal is to move well beyond my low 180 hour PPL experience, towards aerobatic and instrument flying. I want deeper experience both for the obvious safety reasons, but also because I so enjoy learning and flying (of course!).

Having flown around 10 hours on an RV7A about a decade ago and enjoying that experience immensely, is the reason for my appearance here, on VAF. Time-wise, I'm becoming more convinced that I should possibly buy, instead of build, to enjoy more flying sooner, than later. I'm happy and very likely to want to improve and modify an aircraft I purchase.

I have a technical background, having studied aeronautical engineering in the 90s for a few years, before switching to applied maths and ending up in the Internet tech world instead! In my twenties, I restored an old Morris Minor car, rebuilding its engine and suspension. As a kid, I also built RC aircraft and cars, so the interest and practical bug for building/repairing is well formed.

I'm leaning towards either an RV4 or RV6 to avail of the generally lower price of such aircraft, though the 7 would be my preference. Having pored over the forums here for some time, on and off, it would seem that there isn't too much of a difference between the 6 & 7 in terms of how they fly, so I'm content to pursue ownership of a 6 at this point.

Dale
Hey, Dale! Welcome to The Club! You will find all the information here is very addicting!

It depends on what your flying mission is. The -4 is, of course, tandem and that would take into consideration who you will be flying with. Most of my flying is solo but my mate does not mind flying in the back seat of SuzieQ. Some like the side-by-side of the -6/7s. I was born and raised on Cubs and tandem is what is in my genetic makeup! That said, the -4 might just be the better flying of the three; a great subject for debate! Flying with the centerline going through where you are sitting can't be beat! Nice you have a choice of such GREAT aircraft! There are pilots from Ireland who post on this forum!

Good luck on your quest!

Dale

Welcome Dale!

Flying my six now for 22 years. The seven is really close and would be a really nice choice. Or six used. Both wonderful machines.

v/r,dr

Dale,
Will you be near Dublin next week? I’ll be on an extended layover, and can talk RVs over an ale or dram. Or both.

Back