What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

intersection fairing install ?

rv72004

Well Known Member
Im redoing the intersection fairings with fairings etc product. I want to install with the gear loaded, ie on ground , not as per plans where were advised to jack plane up.

Any advice on this ? , before I ruin a brand new set of fairings.

Why are you re-doing the fairings. Why were fantastic and profesionally done.;)Only a real airdraft engineer could have built such beatifull fairings.:D:D
Swa

Im redoing the intersection fairings with fairings etc product. I want to install with the gear loaded, ie on ground , not as per plans where were advised to jack plane up.

Any advice on this ? , before I ruin a brand new set of fairings.

Some install, so that the fit looks best on the ground...

But.............. those leg fairings will not stay in place with just the pipe clamps. The fiberglass leg tabs will even break sometimes. Therefor, it's the intersection fairings that ultimately hold them in place. And you'd want them in the most streamlined low drag position, as in flight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (flying)

I just might get bashed on this one. But... here it comes. I installed my fairings on the ground, didn't jack up the airplane, nothing. I made them look good right where the plane sits on the ground. I did try to get things level on the aircraft for the leg fairings. Once that was done I put those babies right on with the load of the aircraft on them. same with the nose and the wheel pants. Things look good and it flies nice. I do have a heavy left wing, but it was there before putting any fairings on(right wing tip). The aircraft looks nice on the ground. I also put the insulation foam in the leg fairings, thay arn't going anywhere. I didn't want to waste my time with the wood stuff in the mains. I only put a short shot top and bottom in the front and let it fill completely in the back. I'll be painting them soon and that will be done on the aircraft. Also I'll be sealing off the top and bottom of the fairings.

Have fun putting this stuff on, I didn't. I hated it. But I'm glad it's done. One of those things that you hate to do, but needs to be done.

When I have the ambition, I'll be ordering the intersection fairings like you did. But until I feel like messing with it, it's flying without them. 89hrs and counting(since may25). I think I just might make 300 this year. I already put over a 100hrs in the kitfox. I guess I love to fly more than build. But I sure tinker with both airplanes. Maintenance tops on the list. No time to build another, why would I.

Back