What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

interior window trim

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I may be in the minority on this, but I don't care for the look of a full headliner. Just a personal preference. I'm planning to simply clean up and paint the interior of my cabin top but I need to figure out a way to make the interior window edges look nice. ... Incidentally, I am planning to use the aerosport front and rear panels, just not the headliner. So I'm looking for how others in this minority group have cleaned up the look of the windows - front and back.

Thanks for any ideas,

I made fiberglass window casings. Took a lot of work but turned out great. Computer blew up a while back and my photos went with it, sorry. My buddy might have some shots of them , I'll check.

There are some advantages in using the Aerosport Headliner.
1) It is pretty easy to install and remove if needed.
2) It also will absorb sound in the cabin where a finished fiberglass will be much louder.
3) If you ever get something on it like dirt or grease it is easy to remove and put
new material on.
4) Its what is in your car. It looks pretty nice
5) the trim edge does finish off the inside of the window really nice.

FWIW
0_0_345eba3ad1112f721c7ec1cfebc076bb_1

There are some advantages in using the Aerosport Headliner.
1) It is pretty easy to install and remove if needed.
2) It also will absorb sound in the cabin where a finished fiberglass will be much louder.
3) If you ever get something on it like dirt or grease it is easy to remove and put
new material on.
4) Its what is in your car. It looks pretty nice
5) the trim edge does finish off the inside of the window really nice.

You forgot that comparatively speaking they aren't all that expensive. .... I have no arguments with what you say. I just prefer the look of paint.

You forgot that comparatively speaking they aren't all that expensive. .... I have no arguments with what you say. I just prefer the look of paint.

Joe, that's one of the joys of building an EAB, you can do whatever you choose in your aircraft.

I will forewarn you in getting a smooth finish on the interior of the cabin cover takes quite a bit of filler and sanding. Geoff's headliner master was made off my cabin cover. It took days to get it smooth enough to use as a mold.

Now if you prefer the natural unfinished look of the cabin cover, that's a different story! :D

Joe, that's one of the joys of building an EAB, you can do whatever you choose in your aircraft.

I will forewarn you in getting a smooth finish on the interior of the cabin cover takes quite a bit of filler and sanding. Geoff's headliner master was made off my cabin cover. It took days to get it smooth enough to use as a mold.

Now if you prefer the natural unfinished look of the cabin cover, that's a different story! :D

Thanks Bob. We'll see how it goes. I've been at it for several days already. I expect a few more before I'll be ready to paint. .... And then if I don't like what I've done, the headliner is still an option. Time will tell.

Front window trim

Howdy again,
I will be using Geoff's headliner which finishes off the rear windows nicely, but would like to know what others are doing to trim door windows and the front window. My edges are rough and slightly sloppy with glue spillage, (about 1/16"). Had I been smart I would have rounded that edge prior to installing the windows. But that did not happen.

Howdy again,
I will be using Geoff's headliner which finishes off the rear windows nicely, but would like to know what others are doing to trim door windows and the front window. My edges are rough and slightly sloppy with glue spillage, (about 1/16"). Had I been smart I would have rounded that edge prior to installing the windows. But that did not happen.

I don't have any pics, but what I did, on both the doors and rear windows is run a nice bead of black Sikalfex on the edge where it meats the acrylic. I did a nice tape line and used goof off to clean up some paint overspray. Ended up pretty nice. I need to go over them one more time. Also did the same on the rear window and used some brush on SEM black color coat to cover the edges of the windows visible under the headliner trim. Headliner isn't installed yet, but I think it'll come out pretty good.

For what it's worth, Goof Off has worked really well to clean up the windows and does not damage or haze. I then used the #3 & #2 Novus system to really polish the widows up.

Last edited:
I made my own overhead console, window trims and headliner backer. Obviously not my ideas, just my creation. I made the trim rings for the back windows by hot gluing 1/4" plastic tube about 2" inside the window hole. I then filled in with spray foam, cut then sanded it down to the shape I liked. Covered the foam with packing tape and glassed the trim part. I used 1/4" tubing so I could place the headliner material behind the window trims. If you are not using headliner this space can be much smaller. I am going to cover the trims with leather as well.

File%20Dec%2025%2C%2020%2041%2034.jpeg

2015-09-05%2022.02.20.jpg

How about some light gauge rubber "P" section with the bulb nestled in the window recess and a narrow rubber edge inside?

Geoff flys on the right side and I do my skydiving out of the left side... :):):)

Picture was taken during install. A little easier shot without two belts in the way. :)

If true, it's good to hear. I plan on flying my 10 from the right seat too. Being a helicopter guy and RV-8 driver, I prefer the control stick in my right hand and the throttle & other goodies in my left:).

If true, it's good to hear. I plan on flying my 10 from the right seat too. Being a helicopter guy and RV-8 driver, I prefer the control stick in my right hand and the throttle & other goodies in my left:).

You get use to the change faster than you think, been there done that.

Back