What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Side Panels

f1rocket

Well Known Member
Not sure I've seen or heard of any but I'll ask anyway. Anyone install side panels OTHER than what is offered in the kit? I'd love to see some pictures and know what you made them from and how you installed them. Thanks.

See the RV12 Modifications sticky thread, post number 47 for inlayed carpet pieces.

Also, Abby at flightline did some custom touches on my side panels and seats.

For a 7 but I just made some cardboard templates and made some side panels out of .032, would've used .20 but I already had the .032.
C1368023-46C3-4D6A-B095-C35FB7E1C91A-4845-0000070FF4B818F0_zps96f60b94.jpg

EDD01A26-88CE-4DA3-ADCA-BBD8BFB7B33F-4845-0000070FF9DC30F6_zpsdb62ab64.jpg

Not sure I've seen or heard of any but I'll ask anyway. Anyone install side panels OTHER than what is offered in the kit? I'd love to see some pictures and know what you made them from and how you installed them. Thanks.

Randy...

Out of curiosity... what can be improved on the standard side panels? We haven't made it that far in our build yet. The reason I ask is that we have a CNC router and could possibly make up some sets of better ones if people were interested.

Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested in talking about it.

Take care,
Steve

I am guessing here, but I think the reason Randy is asking is only because he opted to not buy the full interior kit, and he's just weighing his options.

The interior kit (and side panels) from Abby is phenomenal. I bet Randy just wants to see what others have done.

???????????????????????????

I am guessing here, but I think the reason Randy is asking is only because he opted to not buy the full interior kit, and he's just weighing his options.

The interior kit (and side panels) from Abby is phenomenal. I bet Randy just wants to see what others have done.

???????????????????????????

Ok....make sense! Abby is a good friend of ours and she is a pleasure to work with.

Steve

I asked Abby if she could just send me the upper and lower left/right side panels that have the pockets. (The forward part of her side panels.) The price was VERY reasonable. Will take a photo next time if interested.

Last edited:
Gary is spot on. I love Abby's work and am not trying to suggest anything otherwise. To me, the thing I love and hate about the RV-12 is that you have to build it exactly according to the plans. (ELSA) Makes a lot of the decisions easy because there aren't any! However, there's very little opportunity for one to distinguish their RV-12 from the next one except for paint. For me, I've always done something special in the interior to make it look unique and nice so I'm looking to build some special side panels in mine once the hours are flown off. I'm interested in seeing what others have done on the -12. I'm having fun experimenting with material, shape, colors, etc.

Randy...

Out of curiosity... what can be improved on the standard side panels? We haven't made it that far in our build yet. The reason I ask is that we have a CNC router and could possibly make up some sets of better ones if people were interested.

Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested in talking about it.

Take care,
Steve
I would be interested in suggestions for floor coverings, and wouldn't be upset at all if the solution provided something more robust than the outside fuselage skin to set my feet on.

Interior touches

Abby did these interior touches for me to match the exterior scheme.

IMG_7560.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

That doesn't affect ELSA.

I've been working on my side panels in-between the holidays, family visits, etc. It took me two weeks to create the molds for each side. Finally finished them up today and will lay up the glass tomorrow. Then I'll pull them from the molds and see if they fit. Once fit, then it's on to leather and embroidery. Getting fun. I'll have pictures of the entire process on my web site soon.

Back