What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior protection question

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I will soon begin construction of my RV-12 kit. Since I live close to the Pacific Ocean, I will prime/paint the inside surfaces of my wings, emp., fuselage, etc. Not concerned about the 'weight issue' - my wife and I have alreday lost weight in order to live longer and make the RV-12 fly better.

Posted this in the 'Primer Thread' and got two good answers. I am pretty sure that the 'Primer Thread' is viewed by fewer builders than this one so I am seeking viewers of this thread for more info from those who did 'prime and or paint' the interior surfaces of their wings, emp., fuselage, etc.

I have purchased enough NAPA 7220 to do the job but am having second thoughts about whether or not that is good enough by itself. Two posters in the 'Primer Thread' advised me that 7220 is not good by itself and must be top coated essentially with two part urethane. I want to do what is best for my aircraft. Please advise - I accept the advice of those two good persons who responded - just looking for more. Thank you all in advance.

Interior primer

I am using a two part epoxy primer PPG Super Korapon. No need for topcoat on any interior surfaces that are not exposed to the weather or sunlight. I will be topcoating the cockpit area with polyurethane.

Back