What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior paint

We are at the point thinking about interior painting. We will be doing minimum painting as carpet etc. will cover most of the interior. Wanting something durable I was looking at Sherwin Williams Jet Flex as one option. What have you used and what recommendation have you. I think I want something better than a Wal Mart can. Also what primer system did you use?

I chose a stone finish. Very durable. See my blog.

Whatever you choose, scratch the surface a bunch, before primer. One of the mistakes I made.

I followed the classic exterior aircraft paint process and used ANAC epoxy primer and Imron (although I am sure any of the other good polyurethane paints would produce similar results). It is expensive and must be applied with appropriate ventilation. However, there is nothing more durable. I have dropped things on it, hit it. It is very difficult to produce a chip or scratch. I have absolutely no regrets.

Jeff

Sherwin Williams Jet Flex

I am planning to use Sherwin Williams Jet Flex on my RV-9A but have not done so yet. It should be applied over an epoxy primer, see the SW data sheets.

Be aware that there are two formulations of Jet Flex both of them polyurethane, one is a solvent based paint, the other is a water based paint. I'm leaning towards the water based as it is supposed to be less toxic. You need to wear a good mask for both and paint outside if you don't have a booth.

FYI if you want to match the Cardinal Powder Coat T009-GR230 light grey (RAL 7035 is the european color match code) that Van's uses to powder coat the steel parts here are the Sherwin Williams paint codes:
Sherwin Williams Jet Flex (solvent) L09511
Sherwin Williams Jet Flex (water reducible) WR P09511

Note these are both semigloss to reduce reflections.

I've painted my interior parts prior to assembly with epoxy primer and then a color coat of JetFlex WR. The JetFlex is hard as nails after a couple of days and I have yet to scratch it working on the fuselage.
I found a local supplier nearby here in El Cajon, so no Hazmat shipping. A quart is about $65 and you'll need more than 1 for an RV-9 interior.

Jetflex Grey

I used the Grey BAC7802 low gloss water-reducible paint for my RV-12 interior. Had to get a 3.3 litre tin, but ended up using most of it.

As a complete novice painter I was delighted how easy this stuff is to spray on and get good results.

Cheers...Keith

Back