What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Paint

Gotta take some pix!

I arranged a visit to see another builders finished 12, armed with a digital camera. Took pix of everything i could shoot, from every angle i could manage. Invaluable later! If you dont know a flying 12 near you, i would post an open request with your location. You might get lucky.:)

Interior kit coverage

These pix should give a good idea of what is covered by the interior kits.
The baggage compartment:
CTT_3463-L.jpg

Main cabin carpets and side panels:
CTT_3455-L.jpg

Tunnel and forward panels and carpeting:
CTT_3983-L.jpg

The factory slsa is a little different,not quite as fancy. You could see my plane in Janesville, or Tim Lynch in Cedarburg. I go to East Troy for my gas also.
P.S. My nephew is a CFI with 80+ hours instructing in the RV 12 if you need a checkout

Paint it all?

This runs contrary to most of the RV builders opinion but, at this time at least, I will paint all of the interior. As I will be using zinc chromate on all of my interior, the inside of the fuselage will get that treatment. This is necessary in my opinion for my airplane as I live and will do the majority of my flying near the Pacific Ocean. And, I can always go back and paint whatever shows after I have the interior package in hand. Just my 2 cents worth. Best to you.

Tony's photo gallery make my build a lot easier

I had the same question about where in the interior to paint. Tony's photos on this an a whole lot of other steps are great. Should be referenced in the plans!.

Jim....stop by some time...... Ive had the plane locked up since Fall as Steve said ...in cedarburg...Mequon.
Tim

Not trying to start another primer war, just looking for clarification

So after thinking about it, reading about it, and actually talking to Mitch who built the east coast model that Vans shows, I decided not to prime except in a few mating services and parts that require it per the plans.

Thats great for the empennage kit and the wing kit since the parts won't be seen thus, won't need to be painted.

However, when I get to the fuseloge kit I do want the interior to look nice and have that flat grey finish like in some of the photos.

So, with that said, when is the best time to prime and paint those surfaces? Note- I am NOT a painter so I will have to outsource this to a professional.

Jim,

FYI--your 12 will have a full interior, custom. We try to make the Eagle's Nest planes look a little nicer inside. Don't know if you had heard that.

Bob

When to paint interior

Adam,

There is a note in the plans when it is a good time to paint the interior. I seem to recall it was during fuselage construction but prior to attaching the tailbone. At that point the fuselage is fairly compact and could be transported easily in a pickup to the painter.

In my case, I painted all of the parts that are part of the cockpit and baggage compartment before I riveted the pieces together. This let me paint with the parts flat on my table so as to avoid runs. As you can see in this in-progress picture, the rivet heads end up not being painted, but I don't mind that at all:
CTT_2683-L.jpg

Back