What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Paint Colour

petersb

Well Known Member
Trying to decide if I should use Semi Gloss or Full Gloss paint on the RV7 interior.

I do sometimes get instrument panel reflection on the canopy in my 6.

Any comments

I used a "hammered" finish, and it gave a really nice looking finish somewhere between semi-gloss and gloss.

3-26-09-004w.jpg

Some options

I just recently looked into this and tested several black-ish paints by Rustoleum:

First image in each set is with back to the sun, second image is catching the sun's reflection:

Gloss black:
20111009-03-tn.jpg
20111009-09-tn.jpg

Oiled Bronze Metallic (has some gold fleck):
20111009-05-tn.jpg
20111009-10-tn.jpg

Satin Black:
20111009-06-tn.jpg
20111009-11-tn.jpg

Semi-gloss Black:
20111009-07-tn.jpg
20111009-12-tn.jpg

Flat Black
20111009-08-tn.jpg
20111009-13-tn.jpg

For me, the winner is flat black for the glare shield and satin black everywhere else.

I really liked the look of the hammered finishes, but they were too glossy for my preference.

I have been in many RV's, and gloss or matte is your preference. On the side by sides, it won't affect the canope reflections. But light or dark color may affect it. For me, I like gloss. And I choose a light color because of the concern for heat. I had matte grey before but during the panel re-do, I changed to gloss (same color). No difference.

But make sure your glare shield is matte black.

Now for the -8 or -4, this may not hold true. Gloss or matte is no issue but the light color is more apparent in a reflection that is 45-deg up from your shoulders.

I don't particularly like black for interior. It makes it hard to see into the floor spaces.
I prefer a flat or satin gray. Flat black for the glare-shield.

Mine is painted a glossy creme color. I'd go darker and flatter next time. The reflections can be annoying, especially when taking pictures.

what Mel said

I used flat black wood stove paint, cause I had it, on my glare shield. The interior is a flat grey with silver on some of the panels. Everything interior wise was out of a rattle can, pretty easy to scotchbright and touch up later that way.

The satin finish of the Jet-Flex water based paint is nice, and is easy to apply - a one part polyurethane.

The paint goes on with a light texture, which is quite applicable for interior surfaces.

I'm actually doing a little bit of both. I put down the rustoleum hammered paint and then put a matte clear coat on it. It looks awesome and the matte takes away the "spray painted" look.

glareshield idea

I'll vote for darker interior colour, as I hate all the reflections in the canopy!
( mine is beige = not good)
my dash was flat black, but it marks up pretty easily if you set things on it.
I bought a BBQ floor mat, ( $10) flipped it over, ( naugahyde pebbly side down) and trimmed it to fit the glareshield. a few tabs of 2-sided tape keeps it in place, along with the fuel hose and pipe insulation on the sharp edge.

The side exposed is a slightly fuzzy felt look, zero reflection, and ....bonus!....you can velcro anything to it!
I put velcro hook tabs on my SPOT and it sits nicely there....and would work for MRX, GPS etc....all the **** we put up there that probably should be secured!
Eventually the velcro pulls the fuzz up, so after a few years I'll want to replace it.

Hello Peter,

I found that Cardinal Gloss RAL 7035 Lt. Gray (powder coat in a rattle can) is a close match to Van?s factory paint. I?ve used it on surfaces right next to any factory coated pieces, roll bar, canopy frame. I went with a darker Cardinal Semi-Gloss for the rest of the interior thinking it would maybe keep the glair down a bit. ~$10 bucks a can. Looking good so far.

http://www.cardinalpaint.com/

pk

http://i51.tinypic.com/dxl6gz.jpg

dxl6gz.jpg

Back