What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Mods

miketf

I'm New Here
I was wondering if anyone had thought of or attempted any of the following for the RV10 Interior:

-Overhead Console with switches and or circuit breakers encased

- Alternate location for fuel selector. (i.e.) mounted to the side of center
console, further forward or aft, or another location completely.

- A throttle control that sits level and flush with the center console. Just like how a cirrus has the set up.

I am putting together my list for buying my RV-10 and if these questions seem silly. I apologize in advance.

-Mike

Welcome, Mike.

Welcome to VAF.

Quite a few -10's have overhead consoles but putting swtches up there makes for difficult wiring runs, so you'll see most -10's with switches on the panel.

Best,

I agree with Pierre, wiring the switches up to the overhead would require a lot of unnecessary long runs of wire, although if one utilized the VPX power management system the runs would be made with #22 gauge. As for the other mods you suggest, check out Greg Hales build site http://www.nwacaptain.com/rv10_home.html

I was wondering if anyone had thought of or attempted any of the following for the RV10 Interior:

-Overhead Console with switches and or circuit breakers encased

- Alternate location for fuel selector. (i.e.) mounted to the side of center
console, further forward or aft, or another location completely.

- A throttle control that sits level and flush with the center console. Just like how a cirrus has the set up.

I am putting together my list for buying my RV-10 and if these questions seem silly. I apologize in advance.

-Mike

I have an Aerosport Products overhead console and have switches in it specifically for the lighting located in the overhead. Like others have mentioned, putting other switches up would require significant wiring modifications and several pounds of weight. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Like Bill mentioned, going with a VP-X or VP-400 elimates the breaker clutter on the panel.

The throttle mount would only be doable by relocating the fuel valve all the associated lines. I don't think there would be enough clearance with the standard install to clear the fuel valve and heater scat tubes.

While I think what you want to accomplish can be done, it's going to require significant engineering to accomplish. As you may alrady be aware, you'll get no factory support in making making these modifications.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mike, welcome to VAF:D

I believe all the various mods you mentioned have been made in the past, but probably not all in the same plane.

I agree with the comment about putting too much electrical control in the overhead, wiring issues will be a bit of a pain.

I would not put the fuel selector on the side of the center tunnel, you want it both visible, and reachable to both front seats.

The link provided to Greg Hale's plane will give you an idea what a fertile mind, and a bucket full of building skills can accomplish. But, be aware, there has been a ton of controversy over this plane, due to the modifications, good way to spend an hour or so if you search for it.

One thing that is really important to keep in mind, is that every time you make a change from the plans, it will take a lot longer than you think, and cost a lot more than you think. And probably will add weight to the plane.

Fancy and luxurious is nice, but sometimes KISS is even nicer.

Good luck, enjoy the ride:D

I am working on an overhead add-on/mod that will modify the overhead console from Aerosport Products (http://www.aerosportproducts.com/rv10overhead.htm). The piece will be a small dropdown at a 45 degree angle and would accomodate approximately 3 or 4 switches. It would be designed to work with a VPX style electrical system so that only a few 22G wires would be needed - very light weight.

As for the throttles, the center console and quadrant insert from Aerosport (http://www.aerosportproducts.com/rv10quadrant.htm) does a great job of improving the asthetics of the RV10 without leaving you to a ton of your own engineering and time sink.

On the fuel selector, many planes have the selector in a place where only one pilot can reach (side wall on the pilot side for Piper Arrows for example). So conceivably you could put the selector on the side of the tunnel, but there's a lot of space issues. You would be better off dressing it up (http://andair.co.uk/system/index.html) and using the above quadrant and you get pretty close to a Cirrus look.

I love all the great things we see here, but I have said this before and I think it applies here too.

Ask yourself are you building a single pilot IFR or VFR machine, or a multicrew airliner for Boeing or Airbus?

Sit yourself in the left seat and be an ergonomics guy for a bit.

Some folk get carried away with a lot of great ideas, but end up with overly complicated, and excessively heavy aircraft. Building a single seat RV10 seems dumb to me. Might as well have built a 4 or 8.

Flame suit on :D

How about we celebrate the Experimential part of building?

Some folk get carried away with a lot of great ideas, but end up with overly complicated, and excessively heavy aircraft. Building a single seat RV10 seems dumb to me. Might as well have built a 4 or 8.

Flame suit on :D

It only has to make sense to the builder - not all of us. That is exactly the reason all of us do not just go buy a Cessna, Mooney, or Cirrus. well, that and the cost, having a new plane rather than an old one, and thousands of other reasons.

None of us took that road well traveled. As long as a modification does not make the plane unsafe, how about we celebrate the individualism and encourage the Experimental part of our airplanes. Maybe because it is painted on our planes and on the warning placard, we forget these are not your average plane. Just my thoughts, and agree or not, thats great!

Overhead

I have the overhead console from Aerosport and love it. I have been in other RV's without it and it really makes a difference in comfort. Instead of having cold air blow on your kneecap you have a nice even flow around your body with the vents above and below. It looks great, extremely light and is easy to install. It's also nice because it hides antennas and is a good place for lights.

Here is a picture of the front of my overhead and then the rear.

xdw002.jpg

2jbqyl5.jpg

I put my Andair fuel selector further forward so I could use the existing space for a "gas fume detector" and Seat Heater controls. It's a little awkward reaching for the fuel selector - I wish I had put it just one measly inch closer....

John

The windshield brace will actually accomodate a bit of wiring to the overhead. I have 2 RG58's, 2 GPS coax, rear headset wiring, and a couple power wires running through mine. Hidden, protected, and for sure shielded.

Back