What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interim Inspections

civengpe

Well Known Member
I am about to head of to synergy air at the end of February to build my Empennage and wings then have them shipped back to Houston. So, in 60 days I should have a completed tail and wings sitting in my hanger.

In the interim, I have been reading everything I can about the build process and techniques. One item that caught my attention was the suggestion that you should have periodic inspections by an EAA technical adviser. At what stages do you have this done? How do you document these?

If you could just point me in the direction of the answer I would appreciate it.

I am about to head of to synergy air at the end of February to build my Empennage and wings then have them shipped back to Houston. So, in 60 days I should have a completed tail and wings sitting in my hanger.

In the interim, I have been reading everything I can about the build process and techniques. One item that caught my attention was the suggestion that you should have periodic inspections by an EAA technical adviser. At what stages do you have this done? How do you document these?

If you could just point me in the direction of the answer I would appreciate it.

There is no required timeframe, but a suggestion would be at the end of each kit or when you are about to close up a major section. Typically, three to five inspections is quite common. You can have more if you want. The EAA Tech Conselor fills out an EAA form. They send the EAA a copy, you get a copy, and they keep a copy.

Thanks!

So, should I get one done when I get the wings back to Houston for the tail section and wings?

why don't you ask Wally if he can write up the paperwork as inspected, i would guess he qualifies as an (EAA) inspector. He is on some of the EAA programs

he is a tech counseler:

Wally Anderson, EAA 421445
Eugene, OR

Wally has built two aircraft, an RV-6 and a RV-6A, both of which won Lindy awards at AirVenture-Oshkosh. He received his instrument rating in his RV-6. He is a Technical Counselor for Chapter 31 and is active in the RV builders group in Eugene, OR. Wally owns a jewelry manufacturing business and is a jewelry designer. He serves on the Homebuilt Aircraft Council because he is committed to helping others build safe and innovative airplanes.

Last edited:
Shannon,

I can hook you up with our Tech Counselor. He goes by Ironflight on the board and lives on your side of town. ;)

Phil

Inspections

I spent a lot of time with Wally and I believe he suggested a minimum of three, depending on your ability/confidence and the results of the previous inspections. Wally should do one for you on your tail kit when you leave. You might consider another when you are well along on the fuselage and/or wings, then one after the engine is mounted and FWF installed. Those times will reflect the major types of tasks and phases of the plane.

You'll have a ball at Synergy. Plan to work hard all day long. They don't come up for air much, but you definitely get your moneys worth. Great folks.

Wally is a tech counselor and he will sign off the work you will have completed at SynergyAir. Our time at Synergy was fantastic. We had a great time and learned SO much.

Back