What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interference between elevator and H-stab

Bob Walden

I'm New Here
I've run into something I wasn't expecting and have not seen any reference to this before. I either missed something or screwed up royally or.....

I'm basically finished with the individual pieces of my tail feathers for my RV-7 except for the fiberglass work. I went ahead and installed the MD3614M bearing rods into the elevators as described in the plans (DRWG 5 Detail D), and then started to temporarily attached the elevators to the H-stab to see how everything looks, but the tips of each elevator extend about the width of the counter-weigth into the HS-801PP skins. A picture is attached.

Did I miss something? I don't see in the plans anywhere indicating the H-stab skins need to be trimmed to accomodate the elevators. The bearing rods are right at 7/8". And the E-703 end rib sets this dimemsion. How can it be too long, or the H-stab skin be too short, unless I could possibly have recieved to incorrect parts from Vans to begin with. I'm baffled.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Should be a notation on the drawings about trimming the skins,I think they used the same skins on the 6 and seven if i remember correctly,I had the same problem.

Back