What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom vs Audio Panel

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
In another thread, a question is raised about using an audio panel with only one radio. Since I've had this same question, I'll raise it here.

What's the purpose of an audio panel?

I understand that an intercom connects the pilot with the passengers, and allows pilot/passengers to listen to the aircraft radio. Some intercoms also include inputs for alarms and music. Does an audio panel serve the same purpose as an intercom - just connecting more radios?

If I have only one radio, but I like to listen to music, is an audio panel any better than an intercom?

If I have an audio panel, do I need to have an intercom too?

Thanks for educating this village idiot!:cool:

One reason to have an audio panel is to allow for various audio inputs without negatively affecting your overall audio quality.

For example, I have an AERA 510, Xion, MP3 jack, Skyview, intercom, and SL30. An audio panel can handle all these inputs and pretty easily isolate them as necessary. Right now, I am still trying to find the best solution for mixing all inputs without the audio panel, but am not convinced there is an easy way to do it.

I have an audio input (for music), XM traffic alerts, Dynon EMS alerts, etc. all tied into my 2-place intercom. You can do it fairly easily by soldering a bunch of resisters of varying ohms together into a d-sub. Search here on VAF for passive audio mixer. Very trivial and costs just a few dollars to make one.

Overall I have been happy with my setup. My recommendation if you get an intercom is to make sure it has independent squelch for each channel. This is a feature missing on my DRE244e that I really wish I had.

And oh yeah -- virtually every audio panel on the market these days has a built-in intercom.

Audio Panel

It was (and still is) the basic aircraft audio mixer. Intercom may or may not have been one of the functions.
There was a day some years back when IFR flight depended on multiple radios, VORs, DME, NDBs, Inner & Outer markers, all with unique audio identifiers and notification signals. Since the pilot was required to confirm via audio identifier each if the navigational aids, the Audio Panel allowed the pilot to selectively activate/deactivate the audio portion of these multiple inputs from a single control panel.
Made the job easier.
The only difference is the audio inputs today are a little different than 50 years ago.

Audio panels are "nice" but not required. My PM3000 stereo intercom has a stereo input (works perfect with the 696) and 2 unswitched inputs for other audio inputs (AOA and engine monitor). I use a 4PDT switch to transfer between Com 1/Com 2. Didn't really have the space or extra $$ for an audio panel and this works perfect for my setup.

My set-up is very much like Walt's. I have two comms, Dynon, and GPS and my intercom works just fine. 4PDT switch for TX selection. I also recommend an intercom that has individual squelch. I have the PM2000II.

Audio panels have evolved.

Aside from the audio mixing, they provided a visual indication of the selected Nav or Com source. They also provided the switching for dual comms and usually an intercom and marker beacon receiver.

For a complete IFR panel, it's hard to argue with the ability to quickly select nav and comm function, and even the marker beacons can be useful.

However, for most VFR and some IFR panels, marker beacons are not required, and only a single comm is required or a dual comm can be handled with an external switch. Multiple audio sources can be managed with individual volume controls on the instruments.

This means the audio panel, in its essence, is a fancy audio mixer. Newer generations (of both audio panels and intercoms) have added cellphone, stereo music, bluetooth and mp3 capability. I think they have evolved into 'entertainment centers'.

This puts them in the 'nice to have' category rather than the 'essential' category.

With the exception of the marker beacon receiver, it's quite possible to eliminate the function of the legacy audio panel, even in an IFR machine. A PS Engineering (or other) intercom and a hidden external audio mixer (we make 5 different types) can give you any combination of mono and stereo inputs.

FYI, without a doubt the audio system is the single most difficult wiring task in a typical aircraft. It's good to plan ahead!

V

Another vote for the PM3000 intercom here. The stereo music capability is great. That's what's in the RV-8 in my avatar. We used one of the aux inputs for the GNS430's VOR audio, and the second aux audio input for the Dynon's audio feed. The PM3000 is perfect for a single com radio airplane. A full audio panel is definitely a waste in such a plane.

EDIT: If you needed more audio inputs with the PM3000, since it's actually a 4-place unit, I suppose you could use the rear-seat mic inputs as aux audio inputs too. Might want to put a small capacitor in series with the mic line for dc blocking on those.

Last edited:
I second Neal's comments above. The PM3000 works fine on a single com VFR machine powered with glass!

Scott,

If you're in the planning (or re-planning) mode, since you're doing a lot of formation work (and I'm looking forward to meeting you at the upcoming clinic), don't forget a flight lead for shows needs a second comm radio. It's down the road planning, but I'm in the process of sleuthing out a second radio install for that reason.

Just something to consider as you look at options.

Cheers,
Bob

It comes down to what your future requirements are.

In my case, I wanted a simple day/night VFR ship, which to me meant one radio.

The bugger was how to connect the audio inputs from the various equipment.

A little research turned up the iCom radio (A200 at the time, A210 today) which has three mono inputs. Problem solved.

I went with a two place stereo intercom and wired the Dynons to the iCom.

This has worked out very well and I'm pleased with it.

Lesson learned: If I were to wire things up today, I would use DB27 connectors everywhere. That would facilitate making changes like adding new equipment.

Back