What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom Question

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I am going to install a Sigtronics Stereo Intercom in my RV-9A when the time comes. I decided also to have one installed in my Cessna 172. Since I couldn't do it, I had it installed by local service. Yesterday, we tried it out and found that the we had to turn the volume on the intercom up all the way to use our headsets. Is this normal? My old portable intercom was really loud.

I am going to install a Sigtronics Stereo Intercom in my RV-9A when the time comes. I decided also to have one installed in my Cessna 172. Since I couldn't do it, I had it installed by local service. Yesterday, we tried it out and found that the we had to turn the volume on the intercom up all the way to use our headsets. Is this normal? My old portable intercom was really loud.

If you installed a stereo intercom and are using mono headphones, you have to be careful not to insert the headphone plug all the way into the jack.

Push the headphone plug all the way in, then pull out about 1/8". This needs to be done to all of the headphones plugged into the system.

Your audio level should then be normal.

I hope this is your problem, because it's an easy fix.

Vern

Thanks Vern. My headsets are all stereo, but I will go back and check the mono switch on them, just to make sure.

Also, which Sigtronics did you buy and what other equipment do you have hooked up to it?

Hooking multiple sources up to a Sigtronics can result in lower gain than expected if not wired correctly. I think it was Stein who helped me dummy up this wiring diagram to include other input sources.

Back