What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom install via Reverse Installation/Engineering..

Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

I've posted about this before, but after flying today, I think I am ready to take the plunge..

My father and I have an RV6 we bought already built. The intercom unit installed is a.) in the way and b.) isn't that great and c.) it's in the way and isn't that great..

The builder installed the intercom box so that it is sitting in the floor of the left side of the cockpit with velcro.. :rolleyes: It was an waaaay after thought, guess the original builder didn't expect pax.. Oh well..

Anyway, we bought a PM1000II to replace it and have been tossing back and forth the idea of whether to get someone to install it or to install it ourselves..

Well, long story short, today I went to fly with a friend and the intercom wasn't working.. Follow the wires through the cockpit and find the power wires have been cut.. The fella doing our annual cut them.. Why? Etc? We do not know.. I haven't had a chance to contact him..

Anyyyywaaay...

Since the unit power was cut, the entire thing was free to be pulled from the plane so I did..

So.. I have the entire unit and have disassembled it and, from the looks of it.. I think I could use it as a "this is how it should go" diagram, along with the installation paperwork from the PM1000II and be able to wire it up?

What do you guys think? Would this idea be feasible?

THanks guys..

Jeff
N314L

1. Get a new mechanic

2. The intercom install itself isn't that hard, but confirming where all the wires go is a pain in the arse.

3. I've tried the reverse engineering way of installing a PSe1000, and ended up frying one.

To sum it up: either get wiring diagrams for ALL your radios and match wire to wire, OR get an avionics shop to do it. And your mechanic is a moron....

Yeh, I mentioned this to my pops and we think I may have told him it would be ok to cut that, as we had anticipated the new intercom.. Not sure.. So he may not be totally at fault..

I have been looking at the PM1000II wiring diagram and it looks like no big deal..

I am looking over the Narco Mark 12D+ setup now..

I think I'm going to give it a shot..

Back