What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance

JEG

Can anyone give me information on companies offering course of construction insurance on homebuilt aircraft. John

Aircraft & Marine in Seattle

had been writing coverage for my AA-1 for many years and came up with the best rates (better than Nationair or EAA) for my combination of age, experience, and ratings.

Wayne 120241 143WM

My kit is covered by my homeowners' insurance policy until such time as it is given its' airworthiness certificate. I suggest you check with your homeowners' insurance agent.
Gary -

Can we resurrect this thread...?

Now that we have lots of flying RV-12's, what have you 'first generation' RV-12 owners found WRT obtaining insurance coverage?

-- can you compare your -12 premium with a previous (or other current) a/c premium?
-- for those of you not previously insuring RV's, how easy (or not) was it to bind coverage on this E-LSA with another carrier, company or broker?
-- while we're at it, any 'super service' or 'great rate' success stories you want to pass along to the rest of us?

Many thanks!

Jack

Jack,

Part of it depends on age. Once guys get in their 70's nobody wants to insure them for anything (though some do I'm sure). As for a comparison to insuring the 12 compared to say a Bonanza/Comanche class, its much cheaper. Of course the hull insurance is cheaper but so is the liability. Airplane underwriters tend to count how many people you can kill inside the plane...a six seater higher than 4 etc. The RV12 seats 2 and the liability insurance is low. (ever notice how motorcycle insurance is so cheap? probably only going to kill the driver) I'm 63 and my liability is $300/year with 4000 hrs in various other aircraft and many ratings. You may wish to do hull at least for the first year or forever (replacement parts ain't cheap).

Coverage

Can anyone give me information on companies offering course of construction insurance on homebuilt aircraft. John

John, I just purchased Hull insurance (not in motion) through SkySmith Ins Agency (515-289-1439) and was very pleased with price, etc. When ready to do taxi test and fly, I can convert to full coverage very easily. I was very pleased with price compared to what I paid a few years back for my Starduster II. PM me if you want pricing info.:) Steve

Does anyone have an idea what a new sport pilot might expect to pay for insurance on a RV-12? I also wonder if they would give me credit for the fact that I am learning in a Gobosh 700 low wing aircraft that is similar to the 12?

Peter & Steve, thanks very much for the info. (Steve, PM is on its way...)

Any other comments from the 'RV-12 Pioneers'?

Jack

UK Data Point

Haywards in the UK quoted me ?1400 for ?60K hull cover, and third-party obviously. I have 1100 hours, with ?1000 deductable from any claim. Insurance stipulates pilots have 1000+ hours.

I have initially gone with ground cover for ?840. This does however include 15 hours of engine runs, taxying, test/demo/sales flights - half of which I have flown off already.

Cheers...Keith

Since I posted the question previously about what it would cost to insure a low time new sport pilot in a RV-12 if they built one. I predicated my quote on about 75 hours total time at the time of insuring it. The cost was about $3700 for hull coverage of about 65K and liability coverage. It is about $800 a year for coverage while building. This was via Avemco.

Hey Carl - -

Might want to check around. I have over 2,000 hours, but my full-coverage is less than half that much.

John Bender

Since I posted the question previously about what it would cost to insure a low time new sport pilot in a RV-12 if they built one. I predicated my quote on about 75 hours total time at the time of insuring it. The cost was about $3700 for hull coverage of about 65K and liability coverage. It is about $800 a year for coverage while building. This was via Avemco.

Be sure you get more quotes. Avemco is historical much higher $$$$'s than other underwriters.

Agree with John- that rate seems much too high if you have had no prior incidents. Mine was about $1900 and that was with $70K on the hull and me having about 200 hours total time. They did require someone else to do the first flight and required 5 hrs checkout time- did not have to be with a CFI- just someone with extensive RV or equivalent time. Another thing to check is first flight coverage- some do not cover the maiden voyage. My coverage was through Global.

Jeff

I went with Airpower Insurance. Tom Johnson is a good guy to work with and is a pilot and aircraft owner too. He can shop all the major carriers, and started my policy while I was still building as "Not in motion or flight" and then we just turned up the coverage to "In motion/In flight" when I was ready to fly. This worked out good for me.

His web site has phone numbers, etc.

http://www.airpowerinsurance.com/

Back