What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance Requirements

bhassel

Well Known Member
What type of requirements are being requested for the pilot's of the RV10's (hours, ratings, etc)? I am a low time pilot but the 10 fits our needs.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
I had about 200 hours and had to do 5 hours wih Alex. I had about 100 hours in a Tiger so transition wasn't to difficult.

RV 10 insurance hours

I have around 600 hours , mostly in a C 177. I bought a RV 10 and had to have 5 hours of dual. Got $180,000 coverage for around $1500 per year.

I have around 600 hours , mostly in a C 177. I bought a RV 10 and had to have 5 hours of dual. Got $180,000 coverage for around $1500 per year.

That is really cheap! I have over 17,000 hours and have just renewed my insurance after the first year. I got $200K hull insurance and a discount for Technologically Advanced aircraft, and came in at $2900 through AIG. I have about 2000 hours of single engine time and now have about 160 hours of RV-10 time. I was required to get five hours of dual when initially insuring the aircraft last year. I got mine from Alex D. in Dallas. Great experience! Got to meet DR as a bonus, too!!

I would be very interested to know who you used for insurance. That is a fantastic price!

What type of requirements are being requested for the pilot's of the RV10's (hours, ratings, etc)? I am a low time pilot but the 10 fits our needs.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,
The main insurance companies that write the RV-10's want to see at least 250 Total hours. AIG/Chartis Insurance will want you to get around 5 hours of dual with Mike Seager or Alex DeDominicis, while Global will require 5 hours but with any CFI that they approve.

Hope this helps

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
877-475-5860

Thanks all - looks like I'll need to build more hours or pay more. I was planning on doing that anyway just to get current and feel comfortable.

Bob

AVEMCO

Avemco wanted 10 hours in type - dual or solo - before extending any cover on my RV6. Also hull coverage wasn't available for first ten hours and/or first ten full stop landings.
Jim Sharkey
Also also - occupant, i.e. sole test pilot cover wasn't included for all of Phase 1.

Last edited:
Here is a thought......

Demand the same deal the others get, with a higher excess until your hours exceed 250 ... or some other similar plan.

Some 20,000 hour pilots (and some very good airline guys) have pranged small singles just like the 100 hour pilot.........

Do not be bullied by insurance companies!:mad:

Insurance

That is really cheap! I have over 17,000 hours and have just renewed my insurance after the first year. I got $200K hull insurance and a discount for Technologically Advanced aircraft, and came in at $2900 through AIG. I have about 2000 hours of single engine time and now have about 160 hours of RV-10 time. I was required to get five hours of dual when initially insuring the aircraft last year. I got mine from Alex D. in Dallas. Great experience! Got to meet DR as a bonus, too!!

I would be very interested to know who you used for insurance. That is a fantastic price!

As you may not know I work for an insurance company so being an "insider" we charge outsiders more and get a cheaper rate for ourselves. (If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you also.)

Fact is I have to admit to making a mistake. I went by memory, which I should never do, and recalled the price for my plane #3. Too many planes and insurance bills. Here are the facts after looking them up tonight. I paid $2240 for the RV-10. I have $1,000,000 liability and $180,000 hull. It is written through EAA with Falcon Insurance brokers. The company is Global Aerospace. The plane is in a hangar in a decent fire protection district, but nothing too special. I believe there is a discount for that and also for going through EAA.

Sorry for causing such a stir, being in insurance my guess (here I go again) is the reason your premium is higher is due to your location in Texas and those little things called hurricanes that come to visit every so often. Even if you are not on the coast because you live in the state you have to help pay for the folks who keep getting their planes blown away. It sometimes take a number of years to recoup from a major loss like a hurricane. And of course once the company gets the rates up, we are not prone to take them down unless the market competition forces us to. There are very few companies that insure planes so things stay pretty stable unless something drastic happens.

Doug

AOPA Magazine

BTW - There is a good article on insurance in the October issue of AOPA Pilot magazine.
Jim Sharkey

Back