What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel Installation

todehnal

Well Known Member
Hey Guys! Are you using rivets, or screws, to install the F1202A center radio stack panel? Van gives a choice of rivets, flush, or pan head screws.

The rivets he calls out are ugly. I could use AN426-3s. The flush screws are stainless and would show anyway, but the pan heads are big and there are lots of them.

I'm in a quandry here!

To be honest, with the other 2 panels removable, I'm not sure, what advantage there would be to having the center section removable?

Tom

I used the screws. There are pictures of what it looks like in my blog. Looks OK, but, yes there are a lot of them. Maybe, sometime down the line I will add the Gizmo mount for the 496.

I will use the screw option!

I also plan to use screws. Prior to this option being made available, many builders did not like the appearance of the pulled stainless countersunk rivets and I tended to agree. Even if you can access the back by taking one of the other panels off, I like the idea of being able to easily remove the center section if changes need to be made or for subsequent upgrades. The screw heads can certainly be painted to match the panel color as well.

Last edited:
Center Panel screws

I used screws also, for the reasons stated. Here is a picture of the backside showing the extra nutplates I installed on the attach angles to do it.
628114139_8oYak-M.jpg

While working on the attach angles it is a good idea to flatten the protrusions around the punched holes that early builders found to interfer with the radio and transponder mounting trays.

Tony

Back