What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Van's static kit

mikehoover

Well Known Member
Any ideas for how to get the plastic tee fitting to fit on the hard plastic 1/4" tubing in Vans static kit? That is a really tight fit. Can't push the tube on but about an 1/8". Suggestions? Also, I have seen builders put a loop at each static vent (left and right sides) before routing to the panel. Vans' instructions, which illustrate the RV-6 do not show any loops. Wonder what the loops are for. Seems the loops would trap moisture instead of letting it drain back out. Thanks!

FWIW I did the boiling water thing when I first installed my Van's static system, about 6 years before first flight. I recall them being fairly stiff, but doable.

However, when doing flight testing I had a 4% error in my IAS (high) and variable altitude readings when making low passes at various airspeeds.

While tracking down the static leaks I find all of the tubing originally in Van's kit had become brittle and cracked. I replaced it all with polyethylene tubing (like Lowe's sells for icemaker plumbing) which was quick, easy and cheap.

If I were doing it over again, I'd just use better tubing the first time. Note the crack where the tubing has popped off the "tee."

James Freeman

mikehoover said:
Any ideas for how to get the plastic tee fitting to fit on the hard plastic 1/4" tubing in Vans static kit? That is a really tight fit. Can't push the tube on but about an 1/8". Suggestions? Also, I have seen builders put a loop at each static vent (left and right sides) before routing to the panel. Vans' instructions, which illustrate the RV-6 do not show any loops. Wonder what the loops are for. Seems the loops would trap moisture instead of letting it drain back out. Thanks!

Here's a note Phil B. made about his install where he did make a water trap and had to redo it to make sure it would drain properly. This might help you, and note that he has a linked photo of his install.

http://www.myrv7.com/viewnotes.php?noteid=41

Back